autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratch and Dent repair help

Hello all, I am new to the Autogeek forum (though I have read quite a lot on here) and relatively new to detailing. I had always liked shiny cars since I was small over the past year or so, I've started to seriously pursue detailing as a passion.

Today, I have a few questions on a paint and dent repair project. A family member had an unfortunate encounter with a concrete support in a home depot parking garage about 9 months to a year ago. Its the start of summer (more or less) and before I detail the car, I want to do my best to fix the dent and scratches.

An estimate for the repair came in at about $1600, which puts getting it repaired professionally out of the question. If I am going to spend money, it will be on the tools and products I need to do the job. I am relatively new to detailing, but I am a fairly quick learner, comfortable with power tools, and if things are explained or directions are given in a very complete and comprehensive manner, I have no problems following them. Any videos are great as well.

I have formed a general plan of attack to this problem and would just like a sanity check on whether this is right or not.

1. I think the first thing to do is to sand out the rusted areas and make them smooth and rust free.

2. Apply touch up paint to the scratches. My one question with this is if there is a difference between touch up paint and regular paint. Regular paint gets a primer, the paint, and then a clear coat. Since the one area is about the size of a quarter, will I need primer for it, or does the touch up paint not need primer or a clear coat?

3. Wet sand down the extra touch up paint once it has dried (about 12-24 hours I think) beginning with low grit (600?) and moving up to high grit (3000).

4. At this point, I would begin compounding and polishing to restore the shine.

5. Apply a layer of clear coat (aerosol can variety), wait for it to dry (12-24 hours or if I have to wait for the touch up paint to totally cure, 30 days) and then wet sand, compound and polish it.

6. Wait for clear coat to cure and apply sealant.

This is my basic plan; I was not entirely sure if I needed to use a clear coat layer or not. From what I know, I have to wait 30 days for any paint to cure before applying a sealant.

I have some tools at home, but I think I would need to order more, and as long as autogeek is having a sale, (which they seem to have at least one every week which I absolutely love) I would get more. I recently got the porter cable polisher; certainly gives better results than just applying a paint imperfection hider, just takes longer. I used the Wolfgang Total swirl remover and finishing glaze, and they worked pretty well. I want to try out Menzerna's line of polishes, since they seem to get good reviews and have good working time. A Flex of any type would be nice, as would a pad washer.

Anyways, give me your comments, advice, feedback. The more comprehensively you can explain things, the more that helps me.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratch and Dent repair help

Quote Originally Posted by timeandeffort View Post

5. Apply a layer of clear coat (aerosol can variety), wait for it to dry (12-24 hours or if I have to wait for the touch up paint to totally cure, 30 days) and then wet sand, compound and polish it.
    Just for clarity, I meant wait for the touch up paint to cure for 30 days before applying any clear coat if that is necessary, then wait for the clear coat to dry before wet sanding, compounding, and polishing it.

Also, the first step would be to remove the dent with a pdr tool before working on the paint.
    Last edited by timeandeffort; 05-09-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: clarity