autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber Boiling vs. Clothes Dryer

I have read in the forums that Microfiber towels should be dried on low heat only so that the function of the fibers is not affected.

I recently read that when Microfibers become severely contaminated with wax or sealant; they should be boiled to remove the residue.

I checked the "Google Machine" and it appears that residential clothes dryers are 130-170 degrees fahrenheit.

Water boils at 212 degrees fahrenheit.

Why would it be OK to boil at 212, but not OK to dry at 170?

Post Thanks / Like
    The answer might possibly be related to dry heat vs. wet heat keeping the fibers protected.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber Boiling vs. Clothes Dryer

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-towels-6.html

From this thread here is what Mike had to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    One option, is to take your microfiber collection to a local Laundry Matt and use their washers and dryers for your car detailing towels.

I didn't start this thread and I've never boiled any type of towels and have never recommended it as a best practice and at this time I don't ever plan on boiling towels.

For as long as I've been detailing, that includes before microfibers were the new norm, I've used Tide Laundry Detergent, powder most of the time, and used normal top load washers and dryers and I've never had any problems wiping anything off of anything.

Everyone's always encouraged to find a way that works best for them, and a segment of online enthusiasts tend to like to take things that should be very simple and make them as complicated as they can, nothing wrong with this, buy my personal style is use the KISS system,

KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

From experience, you want systems for common tasks that are easy to duplicate over and easy to start and finish.

Here's my simple tip that I practice myself...

Start washing machine, set the water level to small or medium, select the HOT setting for water temperature, add your soap, either liquid or powder and let the washer fill and agitate the soap solution into a thoroughly mixed soap/water solution.

AFTER the soap and water have become a thoroughly mixed solution, THEN then add your microfiber polishing cloths and turn the wash timer back to the maximum time setting.

Let the washer run through it's cycle. Never just add the microfibers and the soap solution together at the same time because by the time the soap mingles through the microfiber and mixes thoroughly the wash cycle will be almost over.

If you like, repeat the above and wash the microfibers a second time. I do this often and when I've peeked in on the wash solution it's sometimes surprising to see how much residue is still coming out of the microfibers as you can see it by the color of the water.

After the wash cycle is over, place the microfiber polishing towels in the dryer on the normal setting or the setting for cotton towels and dry them.

Remove towels from dryer, fold and as your folding them separate them into their appropriate groups, (If you washed towels from different groups), and then store in a place where they will not become contaminated.

The 4 minimum categories of wiping cloths

The above is a fairly normal and simple process that is easy to duplicate over and over again and the results must work because all my cars come out looking good after wiping them with microfiber polishing towels I've washed and dried using the above system.

Single stage black paint, wiped down with microfiber polishing towels washed and dried using the above system.

Troy Trepanier's Sniper, wiped down with microfiber polishing towels washed and dried using the above system. Basecoat/Clearcoat Paint System.

KISS - Keep it Simple Simon

Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read on Mother's website:

Whichever you choose, as with cotton towels, launder separately and without fabric softeners (the fabric softener scratches paint).

How would fabric softener scratch the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Fabric softeners to me make fabric softer by coating the material and thus reduces absorbency. I notice this with cotton materials as well.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know exactly why it works, but it does. I boiled some really bad towels recently, just for the heck of it, and it definitely added a little more life to them. I felt like a big weirdo, cooking my towels in a huge pot.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

I have a discard bin for dirty towels. When I have enough for a load of laundry I mix up a bucket of Dawn or TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) and very warm water and toss in some towels, agitate, wring them out and rinse them off. If they look pretty clean I put them into the washer, if not, I rinse them out in a fresh bucket of dawn. This pulls out the wax, excess polish, stains, and allows the washing machine to do a perfect job because they look, feel, and work like new when they come out of the dryer. It might take an extra ten minutes to use this method but it keeps the washer clean and the towels work better than ever. That's the end goal, right? I have some yellow towels that you would have sworn were black before washing that look new again. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to intermix the towels after cleaning except for the nap.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

This tag came on a microfiber I recently purchased:

Heavyweight Buff & Polish Towel

It indicates "Do not heat above 195 F"

So it should be OK to wash & Dry on HOT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Microfiber  Boiling vs. Clothes Dryer-wp_20130526_003-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    I don't know exactly why it works, but it does. I boiled some really bad towels recently, just for the heck of it, and it definitely added a little more life to them. I felt like a big weirdo, cooking my towels in a huge pot.
    This did not work for me. Ended up pitching them as they absorbed nothing at that point.
    2013 Nissan Sentra SL (Arctic White)
    2013 Nissan Altima S (Metallic Grey)
    2012 Toyota Corolla S 5 speed (White)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
    This did not work for me. Ended up pitching them as they absorbed nothing at that point.
    Me too. I took some old microfiber towels, including a couple Cobra WW that were no longer performing well, and tossed them in a big fish cooker pot of boiling water. The cooker was using propane gas so it really got hot and I let each one soak for about five minutes and then washed them. They were totally useless afterwards and looked all crumbled up. However, I stuck with them and have washed them several times since with Blackfire Microfiber towel restorer and they are coming back with each wash. I don't know how it is happening but I notice they are picking up more water now than before. I think there really might be something to this microfiber "restore" detergent, at least the one from Blackfire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast