autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Using the Flex 3401 to wetsand

Hello Mike

I read your review on using the Flex to wetsand. I have one question though.

I have a friend having a Land Rover Challenger. He had it resprayed and it's full of orange peel, dust nibs, dips and runs. He wanted to have the paint corrected on his truck.
    I asked him to wait 3 - 4 months before flattening the paint.

I'd like to know whether on resprayed panels, dampsanding with the Flex will be less riskier? (this is the only DA i have)

I've been made to understand that here in Mauritius Mirka Abralon pads are available. if I proceed, it will be 2000, (then 3000 if needed ) and 4000 grit on speed 1. What would be your thoughts on this?

(To add, I have Carpro denim and velvet pads in my order, just waiting for some friends who will add their products detailing-wise to save on shipping)

many thanks

Zaid

Post Thanks / Like
    Post pictures... What I would do is wet sand by hand 1,500, 2,000 and then use the Flex (since that's all you have) at 3,000.

The flex with a cutting pad should be strong enough to buff out the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using the Flex 3401 to wetsand

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Post pictures... What I would do is wet sand by hand 1,500, 2,000 and then use the Flex (since that's all you have) at 3,000.

The flex with a cutting pad should be strong enough to buff out the rest.
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I'll try to get some pics for sure when i meet my buddy.

I did wetsand a few cars by hand but it takes an awful lot, lot of time, and a lot more energy. There's no DA polisher here and shipping on this stuff is way more than the polisher.

I just want to cut the time i spend on wetsanding. i remember having spent 4 days before i had not yet started polishing and exhausted already.

here it is: 8-day Marathon detail

My friend's Land Rover's paint is much worse than this one. and being a big bad boy, the ride will consume all my energy if i wetsand by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah wet sanding by hand is really exhausting. I have never tried it with an electric DA only with Air Pressure one. And I loved it!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the porter cable...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by zckid View Post

I'd like to know whether on resprayed panels, dampsanding with the Flex will be less riskier? (this is the only DA i have)

many thanks

Zaid
    Hi Zaid,

In the Wetsanding forum group there's this article,

Can the Flex 3401 be used to wetsand?

Lat time I looked at a Range Rover they have a lot of body lines. you can really only use large sanding discs on large flat panel.

If it were me? I wouldn't use the Flex to machine wetsand, I'm just too uncomfortable with the scalloping it instills. See the pics in my article above.

I would recommend getting a PC and a Griot's 3" Mini Polisher for machine wetsanding. We had a guy on the forum recently and I think he purchased the 3" Griot's and was going to sand down the entire car using 3" discs. Not the best way for large flat panels but it can be done.

I know one thing for sure, I would machine sand over hand sanding any day...

Also, locate the painter and ask them how much clear they sprayed. That's the first thing I do. I'd also sand a lot sooner, the longer you wait the harder the paint will become. Sanding is easy, that's putting scratches into the paint... the tricky part is getting them all out.

A PTG is also a good idea. I worked on a car yesterday with factory paint that measured between 1.9 and 3 mils. I'm glad I had my PTG with me, it kept me from getting aggressive.

Mike Phillips

There's also a lot of article on wetsanding in the wetsanding forum group including using the 3" Griots...

Wet-Sanding, Cutting & Buffing - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi Zaid,

In the Wetsanding forum group there's this article,

Can the Flex 3401 be used to wetsand?

Lat time I looked at a Range Rover they have a lot of body lines. you can really only use large sanding discs on large flat panel.

If it were me? I wouldn't use the Flex to machine wetsand, I'm just too uncomfortable with the scalloping it instills. See the pics in my article above.

I would recommend getting a PC and a Griot's 3" Mini Polisher for machine wetsanding. We had a guy on the forum recently and I think he purchased the 3" Griot's and was going to sand down the entire car using 3" discs. Not the best way for large flat panels but it can be done.

I know one thing for sure, I would machine sand over hand sanding any day...

Also, locate the painter and ask them how much clear they sprayed. That's the first thing I do. I'd also sand a lot sooner, the longer you wait the harder the paint will become. Sanding is easy, that's putting scratches into the paint... the tricky part is getting them all out.

A PTG is also a good idea. I worked on a car yesterday with factory paint that measured between 1.9 and 3 mils. I'm glad I had my PTG with me, it kept me from getting aggressive.

thanks a lot for the reply Mike I really appreciate your help.

i did read this thread and posted the same on it.

i'll be saving for the PTG so can't have both PTG and DA right now.

unfortunately we use 240v equipment here, so really can't have the griots or the megs and shipping is really very expensive.

The makita BO6040 is available here, however as i know it cannot accept smaller pads.

I'll be getting Menz FG400 soon, will try it on the carPro pads.

In Todd's review of the carPro pads and Menz FG400, he used a stiff 5/8 LC backing plate.

I have the Optimum thread adapter for their doubled-sided pads.
    Will the LC backing plate fit the Optimum adapter?

Many thanks again

Zaid

Post Thanks / Like
    I first hated the fact that I got a Porter Cable cos i learned it's a DA after I ordered it. but I think it's a good starting tool.

I'll be able to color sand, buff, polish, wax, do interior a lot of stuff. And yeah I might have to buy an extra adapter but i wont have to be right there scrubbing by hand.

Mike said he wouldn't use a Flex for color sanding... Only thing I can compare a Flex when it comes to color sanding is a Dewalt and no way in hell! will I ever use a Dewalt to color sand.

It'll be like driving 100 Mph to get to work faster. You might get there a few times but what happens when you don't.

I would color sand by hand or invest in a DA and Ag seems to have plenty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    I first hated the fact that I got a Porter Cable cos i learned it's a DA after I ordered it. but I think it's a good starting tool.

I'll be able to color sand, buff, polish, wax, do interior a lot of stuff. And yeah I might have to buy an extra adapter but i wont have to be right there scrubbing by hand.

Mike said he wouldn't use a Flex for color sanding... Only thing I can compare a Flex when it comes to color sanding is a Dewalt and no way in hell! will I ever use a Dewalt to color sand.

It'll be like driving 100 Mph to get to work faster. You might get there a few times but what happens when you don't.

I would color sand by hand or invest in a DA and Ag seems to have plenty.
    thnks for your message

I'm considering a PTG. will invest in a DA soon, but will have to buy the 240v one.

Here we have the Makita BO6040 but it comes with a fixed BP.

Shipping for a polisher is really very expensive be it from US or Europe (more pricier than the machine itself )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast