autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Waxing Painted Valve Covers?

Hi,

The painted valve covers on my 66 Corvette were painted by the previous owner which presumbably was done via a engine high gloss enamel rattle can.

It actually looked decent; however it had it's share of paint pimples, overspray and some orange peel.

With the valve covers still on the engine I decided to wet sand them followed by working them with Intensive Care Menzerna and Menzerna Final Detail polish.

Wow I was SHOCKED on how nice they came out!!

If this was the exterior paint I would then use a hand glaze followed by a couple of coats of P21-S Carnuba wax; however, due to the heat the covers will be sujected to I would assume the Carnuba wax would not stand up?

My question is: are the any waxes or polymers on the market that will be able to withstand that kind of heat? ----- if not, do you think I can at least us the hand galze??

Thank you,
    Rabvet

Mike Phillips

Re: Waxing Painted Valve Covers?

Quote Originally Posted by RABVET View Post

Hi,

The painted valve covers on my 66 Corvette were painted by the previous owner which presumbably was done via a engine high gloss enamel rattle can.

It actually looked decent; however it had it's share of paint pimples, overspray and some orange peel.

With the valve covers still on the engine I decided to wet sand them followed by working them with Intensive Care Menzerna and Menzerna Final Detail polish.

Wow I was SHOCKED on how nice they came out!!
    Congratulations! That has to be a little awkward getting your hand in there to hand polish valve covers so hats off to you.

If this was the exterior paint I would then use a hand glaze followed by a couple of coats of P21-S Carnuba wax; however, due to the heat the covers will be sujected to I would assume the Carnuba wax would not stand up?
    I wouldn't give it too long. I have temp sending units on my block and on my heads and with a 180 degree thermostat and a great cooling system the heads on my engine always stay right at 180 degrees as does the water coming out of the block.

My guess is the valve covers on the heads are probably at or about the same temperature. I'm running a 454 and my guess is that my valve cover temperatures are going to be the same or close to the same as your engine's valve covers.

My question is: are the any waxes or polymers on the market that will be able to withstand that kind of heat? ----- if not, do you think I can at least us the hand galze??

Thank you,
    Rabvet

Nothing lasts forever but you can probably get some gloss, shine and protection from any of the premium brand synthetic sealants and possibly coatings.

If nothing else, now that you have them shined up to where you like them, just hit them with the hand polish once in a while and practice "regular maintenance".

I have Anson valve covers which are powder coated and they don't take to being abraded/polished very well but I do wipe them down with an APC to remove oil or a spray detailer to make them look as good as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waxing Painted Valve Covers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Congratulations! That has to be a little awkward getting your hand in there to hand polish valve covers so hats off to you.

I wouldn't give it too long. I have temp sending units on my block and on my heads and with a 180 degree thermostat and a great cooling system the heads on my engine always stay right at 180 degrees as does the water coming out of the block.

My guess is the valve covers on the heads are probably at or about the same temperature. I'm running a 454 and my guess is that my valve cover temperatures are going to be the same or close to the same as your engine's valve covers.

Nothing lasts forever but you can probably get some gloss, shine and protection from any of the premium brand synthetic sealants and possibly coatings.

If nothing else, now that you have them shined up to where you like them, just hit them with the hand polish once in a while and practice "regular maintenance".

I have Anson valve covers which are powder coated and they don't take to being abraded/polished very well but I do wipe them down with an APC to remove oil or a spray detailer to make them look as good as possible.

Mike, thank you for help and by the way you have a beautiful and serious looking 454!

This application is a 427, so as you know the covers are fairly big --- they are painted Chevrolet orange and it's important to me that they look as nice as possible, thus the reason for my post.

Interestingly last night noticed in the store section a wax called FK-1000P which is rated to withstand heat up to 250 degrees ??? ------ I might give that a try.

Any feed back on that product? I agree the temperature will be at least 180 degrees maybe a bit higher due to the close loction of the exhaust manifolds?