autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Cleaner HELP!!!

^would anything happen if it got on your skin?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    ^would anything happen if it got on your skin?
    Yeah, it would burn right through.
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    Were the wheels hot or even warm? Did you spray the cleaner on the wheels in the sun? All the other wheels worked fine with the wheel cleaner?
    Nope not even a little warm. It was just rolled out of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Interesting that this happened when using a Mothers wheel cleaner. Can you tell us which Mothers wheel cleaner, specifically? I assume it was the Foaming All Wheel Cleaner from Mothers.

It's interesting because I had a Meguiar's product ruin some similarly coated Buick Regal wheels. The Meguiar's wheel cleaner I used was an over-the-counter cleaner and was supposed to be safe on all wheels.

Please let us know if you find something to remove the cloudiness.
    Yes, it was this one.
    Mothers Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver_ben3 View Post
    I've seen something like this before, but I was using Trix on the wheels. What I believe happened was all the wheels (3 sets of 4) on all three cars had a coating of Meguiars Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier, wheel protectant, wheel wax.

Trix began to eat away at the coating leaving the cloudy look and even where there was a sufficient build up of product flaking.

A quick polish with Poorboy's pro polish removed remaining residue.
    Hmm... Interesting, I might try that tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm willing to bet the clear coat was severely weak on that wheel.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

So I ended up trying m205 with an GG 3 inch pad and orbital buffer, still a little left so then I tried m105 and it took the white stuff right off! Thanks guys for input... and thanks quiksilver_ben3 for the polish suggestion!
    Last edited by 1Clean3; 04-06-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and one more thing... I talked to my friend and he said he had waxed the wheels a while back with Meguiar's NXT. So after I had used the polish on the wheels to remove the white markings, I took a q-tip and made a "test mark" with the same wheel cleaner I was using before and.... NOTHING HAPPENED!
    So that must have been what it was some sort of strange chemical reaction between the wheel cleaner and the NXT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1Clean3 View Post
    Oh, and one more thing... I talked to my friend and he said he had waxed the wheels a while back with Meguiar's NXT. So after I had used the polish on the wheels to remove the white markings, I took a q-tip and made a "test mark" with the same wheel cleaner I was using before and.... NOTHING HAPPENED!
    So that must have been what it was some sort of strange chemical reaction between the wheel cleaner and the NXT.
    Wow, very interesting.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what would have caused it on the Regal...and it was my car that the Meguiar's product ruined the wheels. All I ever did was clean them with soap and water mostly. Very few times did I ever have to clean them with a wheel cleaner and when I did the product ruined the wheels. Those wheels never seen a coat of wax or sealant, just regular washings unless the time in between washings warranted a cleaner, which wasn't often.

Guess I'll never know why the Meg's all wheel cleaner ruined my wheels.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    I'm not sure what would have caused it on the Regal...and it was my car that the Meguiar's product ruined the wheels. All I ever did was clean them with soap and water mostly. Very few times did I ever have to clean them with a wheel cleaner and when I did the product ruined the wheels. Those wheels never seen a coat of wax or sealant, just regular washings unless the time in between washings warranted a cleaner, which wasn't often.

Guess I'll never know why the Meg's all wheel cleaner ruined my wheels.
    Are/were the Regal wheels in good condition?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    Are/were the Regal wheels in good condition?
    They were, but not now. The plastic center caps faded with the use of the otc Meg's product and have since gotten worse. The clear coat has started to flake as well. However, two years ago, and before using that Meg's product, the wheels were in good shape.

The same day I tried them on some Trailblazer wheels and the same dulling/staining affect started happening. I was ready for it this time, and was doing a test spot on these wheels just to see if I could duplicate the issue. As soon as I noticed this dulling occuring and grabbed the soap and water and flushed with soap, then rinsed...and rinsed...and rinsed. Honestly, it wasn't a smart thing to try a test spot on another set of wheels but I just had to know. I got lucky and saved the wheels from being permanently dulled/stained.

I've always wondered if the wrong product went into the wrong spray bottle or something.
    Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast