autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Long Term Review Spar vs Opti Pro **PICS**

have to get some of that spar... that looks bad ass

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Part-timer View Post
    I am actually considering switching to the Opti-coat. So wouldn't polishing also cause the Opti-coat to come off, like the spar does?
    No because the oc reacts with the plastic versus just layering on it. And get o-lens for headlights. Its supposed to have more uv inhibitors.

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-lens works best on a fully polished lens. Compared to spar varnish, it goes on very thin and clear.... does not streak or peel or fade. Drawback is that you need to restore the clarity of the lens by polishing and can't rely on the coating to hide much. But you end up with a much better looking, more consistent result IMO.

Delta's coating would be similar to using spar varnish. I think it's a lot easier to use than minwax, and works better/tougher/lasts longer.

As with all the "pro" coatings, both cost more than minwax, but it's worth the reasonable $ per job.

Post Thanks / Like

Long Term Review Spar vs Opti Pro **PICS**

Hey Jrs, any updates on the test? Just did Opti Lens on two cars down here in south Florida so I'm anxious to see how they hold up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fusion View Post
    Opti-lens works best on a fully polished lens. Compared to spar varnish, it goes on very thin and clear.... does not streak or peel or fade. Drawback is that you need to restore the clarity of the lens by polishing and can't rely on the coating to hide much. But you end up with a much better looking, more consistent result IMO.

Delta's coating would be similar to using spar varnish. I think it's a lot easier to use than minwax, and works better/tougher/lasts longer.

As with all the "pro" coatings, both cost more than minwax, but it's worth the reasonable $ per job.

How much does Delta's coating cost? I tried the OC and it shows every tiny sanding mark.......It didn't work so well for me.......maybe I could use OC over the spar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EXTJosh View Post
    Hey Jrs, any updates on the test? Just did Opti Lens on two cars down here in south Florida so I'm anxious to see how they hold up!

Sorry my bad, been busy. I'll snap a few pics tomorrow. The last time I looked (about 2 weeks ago) the Opti-coat is holding but is showing some signs of breaking down. Its been almost 1 year.

In the meantime, i wouldn't hesitate to buy O-Lens. The results so far have been awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Part-timer View Post
    How much does Delta's coating cost? I tried the OC and it shows every tiny sanding mark.......It didn't work so well for me.......maybe I could use OC over the spar?
    I think Mr Fusion said, OC wont hide sanding marks and its wasn't designed to I'm sure. If you see sanding marks, its because you didn't inspect properly in between sanding stages before polishing.

I always try to cross hatch my sanding from stage to stage. So go one direction with your first sanding stage, then cross it with your next. That way when you inspect, if you see sanding marks going in the opposite direction you were just sanding in, you know you missed and need to keep sanding.

I'll also let u guys in on a little secret. I STOPPED SANDING HEADLIGHTS!!!! Yes thats right, i only break out the sand paper if there is some DEEP damage, or there's a previously applied coating like clear coat thats been delaminating.

I've been using those 3" purple wool pads with M101 on my PC and i promise it'll clean up the oxidation just as good as sanding. As a matter of fact, on 2 separate headlights that had delaminating clear coat, I've gone from Megs #500 sanding disks by machine, to #800grit by hand, to purple wool & 101 on my PC and its gotten out ALL the sanding marks in less time than sanding up to 2-3000 grit. So that means that your purple wool + 101 = up to #800 grit of abrasiveness, which is what I used to START sanding at on most headlights. I've saved so much time by doing this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrs1418 View Post
    Sorry my bad, been busy. I'll snap a few pics tomorrow. The last time I looked (about 2 weeks ago) the Opti-coat is holding but is showing some signs of breaking down. Its been almost 1 year.

In the meantime, i wouldn't hesitate to buy O-Lens. The results so far have been awesome.
    No worries. Sounds good man, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update

Post Thanks / Like

Updated pictures please!!!!!
    Cars
    1972 Chevy Nova
    1994 Acura Integra

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast