autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, I think I need some advice!

I literally just finished doing the Yukon full process: ultimate compound, ultimate polish two-step process and then Wolfgang's paint sealant 3.0.. And the hail dents were bothering me.

So I am picking it up at the dent guys shop and As I walk in I see him hand compounding the hood with a terrycloth towel.. The dents are gonec but sure enough it's got little Scuffs and scratches here and there.

My question is this:

Do I need to do something to remove the Wolfgang's or can I just repeat the process, compound, polish and reseal it?
    Last edited by Fishincricket; 02-20-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    I see swirls everywhere!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whoops, I think I need some advice!

I would do a test spot starting with polish and then if all good reseal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelzntoys View Post
    I would do a test spot starting with polish and then if all good reseal.
    Ah, yes.. I'd definitely do the test spot with just the polish first...

But do I need to do anything special to remove the WGDGPS3.0, or will the polishing take care of that?

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing will remove any sealant/wax.

If I recall correctly you recently, yesterday perhaps, created a thread about detailing this Tahoe showing where you detailed this ride. In that show 'n shine you noticed the hail dents and they bothered you. Right so far?

Those dents bothered you so bad you took it to your dent guy for fixing. So, what in the world was he doing wiping a compound on it without your permission? Didn't you tell him what you had just done? Coudn't he obviously see all the time you had spent on it polishing it to perfection? Wow!!

Just do whatever you need to do to remove his compounding marks, then reapply the sealant. If it takes a different compound and then polishing, or just polishing, then do it and then reseal it.

I assume those "little scuff's and scratches" was from his dent removal process, and if so then I'd say that's par for the course. However, I would think one of you should have known what was going to happen. If he knew then he should have at least noticed all of your hard work and explained what he'd have to do after removing the dents. Somewhere there was a communication breakdown, imo. You had that thing looking splendid, and I'm sure you'll manage...again.
    Last edited by Hoytman; 02-20-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'm not complaining at all! It was my fault, I should have known it was going to get a lil scuffed... This ain't my first rodeo after all! lol

What's the saying? mea culpa?

I was mainly just curious if I needed to do anything special to remove the sealant before proceeding with repairing the damage... Sorry for the confusion. Sounds like I'm set, I'm headed out to the garage now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishincricket View Post
    Oh, I'm not complaining at all! It was my fault, I should have known it was going to get a lil scuffed... This ain't my first rodeo after all! lol

What's the saying? mea culpa?

I was mainly just curious if I needed to do anything special to remove the sealant before proceeding with repairing the damage... Sorry for the confusion. Sounds like I'm set, I'm headed out to the garage now.
    -swanicyouth did an LSP-test: Sealant Test: PowerLock (+/-) BlackHole, Wolfgang DGPS, & BlackFire WD
    One of the these LSP's was WGDGPS.

-During his test he tried different "LSP-removers" to see how they would affect the beading.
    He used:
    -Meg's APC+ @ 1:10;
    -IPA @ 25% and 70%;
    -CarPro's Eraser and Trix;
    -Griot's Paint Prep;
    -Sonax AIO @ 1:10;
    -Rustoleum Wax & Tar Remover;
    -and Goo Gone.

The WGDGPS was still going strong after being attacked by these solvents!!

This is the wax&sealant-remover/solvent he used to finally kill-off WGDGPS (as well as the other LSP's):
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Meg's Chrome Wheel Cleaner:

This stuff is corrosive. I forget wether its acidic or basic, but I'm sure this will kill it. This is their OTC "spray and rinse" or "no touch" wheel cleaner. This is the stuff that burns you skin if you don't wear gloves.

I've already found out what I set to find out. I'm only going to spray a little bit of this on and spread it out.

2 sprays:

After rubbing it in/off (but not rinsed off):

Lets see when we rinse it:

All beading Dead!!!!
    Not saying you should use this wheel cleaner to remove the WGDGPS on your Yukon...

Just an example of how "tuff" this WG sealant "stuff" really is!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info, bob... You're always so thorough!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishincricket View Post
    Thank you for the info, bob... You're always so thorough!
    Here here... Good find Bob!

OTOH, that's bad news to hear about the dent finder!
    I've seen those guys work, what with their twisted tools, sticks and bent rods and of course a TON of little hammers they bang on the paint with. Likely the hand compounding was to remove hammer marks.

Where my wife works, the original owner was also a Ford dealership owner. Back when dent fixing was first finding it's way here from Austrailia, (early 90's), he had over 240 Fords that were damaged by hail. He took the insurance money and went about selling them at the salvage auction. The best 100 cars, he let them practice on. Most you couldn't tell had ever been touched, including big ol' black Town Cars and LTD's. Those guys worked in his building for 2 months on those cars!

These days the science of dent removal has come a long way since then. But at the base of it, it's still a bent rod on the backside and a hammer on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I got the "damage" polished off, too the least aggressive option I have available, ultimate polish and a tangerine pad. Here's the best before shot I could get:

And here it is in my garage:

And here it isn't:

Thanks again for the advice, the new layer of WGDGPS is curing in the garage as I type.... Though I am thinking about topping it in the morning with some Colly845.. :hmmm:

Post Thanks / Like
    Am I seeing things, or does that paint have a texture to it? Maybe its just the picture???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast