autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My truck has sat for 3 years

Welcome!

You'll get the right advice here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Espyone View Post
    Welcome Sir! I am also in So Cal. and willing to help you out if its local enough.

Ditto, but with me, it will be more of a strong back; weak mind.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am located in Downey So Cal. My problem is I tire fast and can only work outside for 1-1 1/2 hours at a time. I plan to complete one panel at a time.Will a DA cutting pad work instead of using clay? Is there any brand of pads that work or last longer? I have very limited funds so the lower cost the better. This forum is a big help.

Thanks
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Buy this book:

Mike Phillips' The Art of Detailing Paperback Book

And then you will be better prepared to figure out where you need to go from there.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1dslram View Post
    I am located in Downey So Cal. My problem is I tire fast and can only work outside for 1-1 1/2 hours at a time. I plan to complete one panel at a time.Will a DA cutting pad work instead of using clay? Is there any brand of pads that work or last longer? I have very limited funds so the lower cost the better. This forum is a big help.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Welcome!!! Downey? your 15 mins away from me. Im off the 105 and 110 freeways. Its recommended you clay before you polish to remove all the contaminents from the paint. Especially if the car was been seating outside for 3 years.

Im willing to give a helping hand and use my own supplies if you like. Im no pro but im pretty good with he DA. you can check some of my work if you like.

98 Black Honda Accord (worst swirls and holograms ever)

Black Chevy Trailblazer(lots of pictures)

2009 Acura TL (Intetior- 60+ pictures)

2007 Toyota Corolla (interior & Clay/Wax)

Subaru WRX (interior)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david11g35 View Post
    Welcome!!! Downey? your 15 mins away from me. Im off the 105 and 110 freeways. Its recommended you clay before you polish to remove all the contaminents from the paint. Especially if the car was been seating outside for 3 years.

Im willing to give a helping hand and use my own supplies if you like. Im no pro but im pretty good with he DA. you can check some of my work if you like.

98 Black Honda Accord (worst swirls and holograms ever)

Black Chevy Trailblazer(lots of pictures)

2009 Acura TL (Intetior- 60+ pictures)

2007 Toyota Corolla (interior & Clay/Wax)

Subaru WRX (interior)
    awesome offer here bruce

Learning from someone personally makes things so much easier and faster!

Welcome to the forum btw! Glad to see you here and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

*Google map* Too bad you're way down south. I wouldn't mind lending a hand.

Way to go, david11g35!

Should this goes down... pictures. Lots of pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be willing to jump in the mix. I'm not too far. Besides, my brother-in-law lives in Downey, and I used to work in that area, so I'm familiar w/ the area. I'm new to detailing, so I don't have a resume, but I have a bunch of products, tools & a new PCXP.

We could team up, share pointers & products, and help out a new member who would otherwise have a difficult time on his own.

Hey Bruce, could you fill us in on the details of your truck? You know, make & model, year, color and so forth?

Drew

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AG Online
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC in OC View Post
    I'd be willing to jump in the mix. I'm not too far. Besides, my brother-in-law lives in Downey, and I used to work in that area, so I'm familiar w/ the area. I'm new to detailing, so I don't have a resume, but I have a bunch of products, tools & a new PCXP.

We could team up, share pointers & products, and help out a new member who would otherwise have a difficult time on his own.

Hey Bruce, could you fill us in on the details of your truck? You know, make & model, year, color and so forth?

Drew

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AG Online
    Sounds good to me. I'm in if bruce allows us too.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Fellow AGO'ers first let me say; .

I've been in the on-line community since the 386 and Windows 3.0 days when it was nothing more than a bbs. To log on here and see so many offer to show up, help, and even teach him how to get his truck done when Bruce did his first post is EXACTLY what makes this place what keeps everyone coming back! It just made me smile..... BRAVO!!!

Bruce, first welcome to AGO. You and I are riding in a similar boat as to not being able to go at it all day long. While I'm 17 years younger, I have degenerative disc disease througout my back, some days are better than others, but spending 8 hours detailing just isn't gonna' happen. (With me it's more like 3 days!)

I'm with you on working smarter not harder. Your best bet is going to be something like the GG6 and a dozen mixed pads. Not knowing how bad the swirls are it'd be hard to tell what pads or product you might need. The reply from mwoolfso is spot on as to all the steps involved. Might not have to do the IronX, but a good stripping to start is needed.

If you want to invest in nanoskin that'd be a lot easier than claying, but will require a machine. For a great OTC product that even pros use sometimes you might check out Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (UC) and Meguiar's Ultimate Polish (UP), follow that with M21 2.0 sealant and you can call it a day. Although many top the M21 with either Ultimate Wax (liquid goes on easy and has great results) or even M26 carnuba (can be bought as paste or liquid).

Another VERY GOOD option after compounding and polishing would be a coating like Opticoat. Very hard, very long lasting, great protection. From a price standpoint while the single application is around $50 it's less trouble (and money) than having to wash/wax every 3~4 weeks over the lifetime of the product.

I'm going to do my wife's parents 2012 Nissan Sentra with it when it warms up. They are just too old to keep a car up these days (like lucky if it gets washed) and I just can't get bare to see the car sit out unprotected all summer. If I could get up there to keep the car detailed like it deserves it might be different, but a coating is the best option. (It'd be better if they garaged it, but it's a single car garage with a 1929 A Model in it.)

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast