autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What Type of Paint

How do you tell if the paint is hard or soft? I had a Honda Civic, Pearl Midnight Blue that all you had to do was look at it and it would scratch. My Toyota Prius, Red is not as bad. My Vivid Black Harley holds up well and buffs out great, I guess this is on the hard side. I just can't tell on the Prius some swirls disappear easily, others I have to work at. Is there a chart or does it all come from experience with many different vehicles and a myriad of products used to detail?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by don03109 View Post
    How do you tell if the paint is hard or soft? I had a Honda Civic, Pearl Midnight Blue that all you had to do was look at it and it would scratch. My Toyota Prius, Red is not as bad. My Vivid Black Harley holds up well and buffs out great, I guess this is on the hard side. I just can't tell on the Prius some swirls disappear easily, others I have to work at. Is there a chart or does it all come from experience with many different vehicles and a myriad of products used to detail?
    To answer your question, its a little bit of experience but more importantly a TEST SPOT.

Starting from the least aggresive product, you can see how well deffects are being removed. If X product doesnt touch it, you go with the next step up in abrasiveness.

I wrote a thread on correcting Honda paint that is generally on the soft side using a finishing polish only. Might help you out.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...potential.html

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Type of Paint

I've been following that thread, nice info. I've been doing test spots. Just wondering for when I start doing friends cars. I think I should just master the product I have now, instead of thinking "I gotta have that!" when all these great products get fantastic reviews.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by don03109 View Post
    I've been following that thread, nice info. I've been doing test spots. Just wondering for when I start doing friends cars. I think I should just master the product I have now, instead of thinking "I gotta have that!" when all these great products get fantastic reviews.
    Start by reviewing the paint condition infront of you, and what your trying to achieve. If its in great condition, no swirls just needs a cleanup, then a good AIO like XMT 360 works great. Very very light swirls, Menzerna 4500 will do the job. M205 for a bit heavier swirls, anything above that will be up to you to determine.

Always start light, that way you dont:

1. Remove too much CC or paint (SS).

2. Work backwards by going too aggresive and having to finish down further with another product.