autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CONFUSED - Induced Holograms With A DA?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockeey View Post
    Where does the owner of the vehicle work?....is it near or at an industrial site of some sort? Is it possible the vehicle is getting misted with a layer of ferrous soot or some other foreign substance? I dunno but it almost sounds like there might be something within the very top surface of the paint that you are just pushing around with the Cyclo.....something that washing and claying isn't completely removing.

It lived in FL for the first couple of years - but that is all I really know..... factory paint and lived in the salt air?>!?!??!?!
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

would you be able to get any pics? What sort of maring/holograms are they exactly? They cant look like rotary induced holograms right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MirandaAutoSpa View Post
    would you be able to get any pics? What sort of maring/holograms are they exactly? They cant look like rotary induced holograms right?

Yes - they look like rotary induced holograms - only induced with a da!?!?!?! Holograms are created by heat right? At least that is what I have learned and told my clients - only these holograms couldn't have been created by heat - because using white pads with M205 and some mild speed behind them, there should be no holograms!?!?!? Slightly confused here lol.
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

This is really puzzling. Maybe try a new polish? Give menz SF4000 on a red/black pad a shot. To my knowledge Megs 105/205 are SMAT, maybe a DAT polish like Menz might finish out better. How thick is the paint?

Come to think of it also, are you detailing in direct sunlight and/or outside? I had a problem with my PC the 3rd time I ever polished. I was in my garage (now my shop/showroom) with the door up in the morning (garage faces east) and I started on my black infiniti FX50 (super soft clear, flat paint), and the wind blew some dust or debris onto the surface. I induced a whole bunch of swirls (dust stuck under pad). Sun heated up the black paint super warm, making it softer

Just a few ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    Yes - they look like rotary induced holograms - only induced with a da!?!?!?! Holograms are created by heat right? At least that is what I have learned and told my clients - only these holograms couldn't have been created by heat - because using white pads with M205 and some mild speed behind them, there should be no holograms!?!?!? Slightly confused here lol.
    I have induced DA type marring on paint before, but it doesnt look like true rotary trails. Hmmmm seems wierd to me......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post
    This is really puzzling. Maybe try a new polish? Give menz SF4000 on a red/black pad a shot. To my knowledge Megs 105/205 are SMAT, maybe a DAT polish like Menz might finish out better. How thick is the paint?

Come to think of it also, are you detailing in direct sunlight and/or outside? I had a problem with my PC the 3rd time I ever polished. I was in my garage (now my shop/showroom) with the door up in the morning (garage faces east) and I started on my black infiniti FX50 (super soft clear, flat paint), and the wind blew some dust or debris onto the surface. I induced a whole bunch of swirls (dust stuck under pad). Sun heated up the black paint super warm, making it softer

Just a few ideas.
    I have induced DA type marring on paint before, but it doesnt look like true rotary trails. Hmmmm seems wierd to me......

This has nothing to do with marring..... only holograms! I can remove all marring easily - but leaving holograms all over the black truck will make it look like a hack job :/ Marring no problem - Holograms being created by the cyclo - BIG Problem!
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    This one is going to be interesting. I bet you are frustrated at this point. If holograms are caused by heat, how is heat transfer occuring with the DA? When I correct my Honda's ridiculously soft paint, at high speed with a cutting pad, the panel gets "warm" to the touch. I just dont see a DA inducing holograms unless theres other elements that you might not be aware of like others have stated. Its definitely not the fault of M105/205, for someone to suggest that I find rather comical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    This has nothing to do with marring..... only holograms! I can remove all marring easily - but leaving holograms all over the black truck will make it look like a hack job :/ Marring no problem - Holograms being created by the cyclo - BIG Problem!
    Sorry man, that is so wierd! Can you try to polishing with a PCXP and see if it changes anything? I have never used the Cyclo, but I would assume that the motion of both DA tools would be the same? PCXP+Finishing Pad+M205=Hologram free?

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know why but my money says get rid of the cyclo for this car, get a different type of DA, fresh new pad & start clean. You have to do a little process of elimination because at this point its going to be any ones guess. Unless someone who has experienced this before can chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry man, that is so wierd! Can you try to polishing with a PCXP and see if it changes anything? I have never used the Cyclo, but I would assume that the motion of both DA tools would be the same? PCXP+Finishing Pad+M205=Hologram free?
    No apology needed lol - Thanks for your input and advice! Should be hologram free - YES, is it...... NO?!?!?!
    Bates Detailing

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast