autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

protecting head lights

For Christmas my girlfriend bought me new head lamps and tail lamps for my truck. I was looking for something to protect them. I saw autogeek offers a few options. I was thinking about going with the wolfgang protectant. Does anyone have any experience with it or any others for that matter? My main concern is the tail lamps being smoked so I want to avoid anything that isn't safe to use on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: protecting head lights

I have been using Wolfgang Plastik Surface sealant for 2 months so far and have been very pleased. The wifes Toyota was becoming a real chore to keep the head lights clear. I polished them with Megs 205 until they looked new then cleaned them off with water and alcohol mix and applied the Wolfgang. I have reapplied monthly (not taking any chances) and so far for 2 months they are still crystal clear with no yellowing. It appears to be working very well so I started using it on all exterior lighting lately.

Wolfgang Plastik Surface Sealant forms a clear barrier over your plastic lenses to shield them from contamination and UV rays.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I use the diamondite system works great, I also throw some wax on them once a week as I live in Florida and the suns uv rays can cause some damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Have been applying Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor. Not only to the headlights but the taillights as well about every four or six weeks.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

I was not much of a fan of Diamondite Liquid Armor, it seemed to do absolutely nothing in terms of protection on my last car. I tried Meguiars headlight protectant and at least it seemed to cause water to bead off the plastic. On my new car when I get around to it I am going to use Carpro DLUX coating and see how that works. Other people have reported that seems to be doing well not only on trim, but also headlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Any smooth or lightly textured plastic on my fleet gets either Opti-Coat or Collinite 845. Midway through 2011, I did a review on the Optimum forum, using a pair of 13 year-old headlights that were sanded and polished, but not painted or coated. One was then done with OC, one with 845. It took 10 months and a PA winter of 24/7 exposure to see any perceptible difference between the two. OC absolutely rules, but if you want great protection for just $15, 845 is the way to go on any surface, including wheels, plastics and glass. Applied carefully, I even use it on textured cowl plastic for durability superior to any dressings (except,of course for the magic stuff on the infomercials ).

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Personally...
    -I use the vehicle appropiate XPel headlamp lens kits:

XPEL Headlight Protection Kit, Xpel headlight film, x-pel headlight protection film

NOTES:
    1. Some of XPel's fog-lamp lens kits also
    2. They sell bulk film that you can 'customize' for taillamps lens/headlamps lens installs

-ClearDefender:
    1. For pre-cut taillamp lens protective films...(1.888.716.4290)...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Since 845 would work, would anybody recommend 476 on headlights or a sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

been using blackfire crystal seal on mine. your best protection is going to be the xpel film. pre cut and ready to install.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Opticoat has my vote here. Why deal with protection three to four times a year, when you can opticoAt it and forget about it for years?
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast