autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I get the wrong pads?

Hey everyone! Just got my box in from AG form the 12 Days of Christmas sale and I think I may have ordered the wrong pads for my 7426XP. I THOUGHT I needed the 6.5" pads, but I obviously needed the 5.5" pads. (been awhile since I ordered any). I talked with customer service today and they were super helpful however the gentleman said that I could use the 6.5" pads on my 5.5" backer plate and the pads would actually last longer than the 5.5" pads. I ordered all this:

And of all that I am keeping the PoorBoys Liquid Natty's Blue, Duragloss Rubber & Flat Black Dressing, and the 4 sheets of Megs sandpaper.

I thought thought I ordered the Optimus No Rinse Car wash, instead of the Optimus Car wash so that's gotta go back. I wanted to get a few people opinion on if I should return the 6.5" pads and get the 5.5" pads instead since I'm already sending back one product. I've received my RA# and I'm all good to go tomorrow when I take the box to the post office. What do you guys think?

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did I get the wrong pads?

Guess I should had put the list of things in question:

6.5" CCS LC Pads in Orange, 3x White, 2x Red
    6" Hybrid Power Finish Blue Wool Pad
    Megs Ultra Polish Kit w/ 6.5" Pads (3 orange pads, 2 black pads)
    Optimum Car Wash (may end up keeping this though)

Post Thanks / Like

On your 7424xp, 6.5" pads do work. But 5.5" pads work better the Porter cable lacks a little bit of power to run 6.5" smoothly.

I'm sure more will chime in on this issue, hope it works out for yah bud!
    2c

Post Thanks / Like

If you are returning an item I would return all the pads and exchange them for the 5.5x7/8 Lake Country Hydrotech pads. These are phenomenal on the PC and the like. The small wafer size pads will allow more energy from the machine to the paint to allow for more efficient defect removal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    If you are returning an item I would return all the pads and exchange them for the 5.5x7/8 Lake Country Hydrotech pads. These are phenomenal on the PC and the like. The small wafer size pads will allow more energy from the machine to the paint to allow for more efficient defect removal.
    I to would return all the 6.5" pads and get the Lake Country 5.5" Low Profile Hydro Techs for all the above stated reasons. They also finish out quite nice. Over time they have become my goto pads on my PC's. I have on occasion even used them on my Flex 3401 without issue. A plus if your just starting out with machine polishing is only 3 type of pads to buy and less confusion on pad choice. Only down side is they are a little less durable than some of the other LC pads but not by that much.

I would suggest 3 to 4 pads of each for a full size car or truck. You could do with less of the crimson but I like to have a spare or two on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all of the above comments. I will say, though, that for light polishing (not severe defect removal) 6.5" pads do work just fine on the PC. It just bogs down a little on anything other than speed 6 when using the larger pad sizes. 5.5" pads really hit the sweet spot for that machine.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    I agree with all of the above comments. I will say, though, that for light polishing (not severe defect removal) 6.5" pads do work just fine on the PC. It just bogs down a little on anything other than speed 6 when using the larger pad sizes. 5.5" pads really hit the sweet spot for that machine.
    Totally agree it can be done with 6.5" pads but it's a bit of a pain. Back when I got my first PC I started out with 6.5" (as there wasn't that many 5" choices) and made due with 6.5 and 3.5 pads for almost 2 years. More than a few times I put the PC down and went back to a rotary because like you stated it's a little hard to maintain rotation on less than a setting of 6 with that large a pad. On the plus side I am positive my technique improved out of necessity as a 6.5" pad only worked well with excellent technique. I don't even know why AG and most if not all the other sites still offer PC combos with 6.5" pads with so many better choices in the 5-5.5" range.

Post Thanks / Like

5.5 backing plates work on 5.5 pads and 6.5 pads

but as stated above the 5.5 pads much better

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

+100 on returning them all. From what I've heard the PC just doesn't like the 6½'s. (where the GG6 will spin them better, but that didn't stop me from having 4, 5½ & 6½'s for mine)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the feedback! I am heading to the PO to return the above mentioned merchandise (minus the car wash I think). Soon as I get the credit I'll get the 5.5 LC pads. I appreciate everyone's help on this matter. Always nice to get a second opinion! You guys are great!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast