autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Novice needs help

I am totally new to learning to apply a showroom shine. I have been polishing and showing cars for years but quickly realized I knew little about the process of really polishing a car. I have been buying for a couple months now and reading the forums and classes. Seems the more I read the more confused I get. Before Auto Geek I used an inexpensive buffer and used Meguires Ultimate compound, Obsessive Detail Brazilian Ivory Carnuba Wax and Obsessive Detail Wet Glaze Enhancer.For a waterless wash I have been using Croftgate Aquanil Waterless Wash and Wax.
    Now I have a PC 7424 XP
    LC CCS Pads-
    Black
    Orange
    White
    Yellow
    LC Polishing pads-
    White
    Black
    Red
    Lambs wool pad microfiber bonnets
    I also have Pinnacle Advanced Polishing Finish
    Pinnacle Soveran Spray Wax
    Just ordered Pinnacle clay bar and lube
    Problem is I do not know what to use with what and what else I need to get a deep shine. I am sure there is a lot I still need and a lot I do not need. I need some direction.
    I just sold my 65 Mustang and got a Shelby GT500. I don't mind the work to get the results.
    Thanks,

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Novice needs help

Post some pictures of it under a light so we can see what you are trying to remove.

I'll check back tomorrow too see whats up, (or im sure other members will give a hand).
    I have yet to use the Pinnacle Polishing Finish so im not sure of what it can really do.

-Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drew847 View Post

Post some pictures of it under a light so we can see what you are trying to remove.

I'll check back tomorrow too see whats up, (or im sure other members will give a hand).
    I have yet to use the Pinnacle Polishing Finish so im not sure of what it can really do.

-Andrew
    I will post some pictures under the light tonight as I am at work. To show you why I need help, I compounded the car, waxed it, applied the wet glaze, then used the finishing polish to really bring out the shine and took it all off. I have been reading the forum, tech help, and about products but I still cannot find a starting point. The Shelby looks good but after reading about the plastic baggy test the car felt like it had dirt stuck in the finish. I do not mind the effort but would like to do it right the first time and quit wasting money. Here are some pics of the 65 I just traded to get the Shelby. I appreciate any and all help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Novice needs help-img_1394-jpg   Novice needs help-img_1397-jpg   Novice needs help-img_1211-jpg   Novice needs help-img_1215-jpg   Novice needs help-img_1216-jpg   Novice needs help-img_1220-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

First, Welcome!

Second, nice rides!

Third, read Mike's articles/videos, or experienced guys like BoobyG and others.

Mike Phillips

I just made this a sticky in the "How To Articles" forum group to make it easier to find, (at least for me), until I can update my articles list. I have a 20+ new articles to add to the list. Ugh...

Read through this and watch the videos, it walks you step-by-step as to what you want to do and the order to do the steps.

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

I like the classic Mustang, hope you don't end up regretting it down the road. A good friend of mine just bought a 1967 Chevy II Nova and is now putting their brand new Camaro up for sale.

Mike Phillips

This is coming up in a few weeks and we'll be broadcasting live!

Sign-up: 1965 Mustang GT Dampsand for a show car finish

Might be fun to watch for nostalgia...

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!
    Most of the articles written by Mike P are invaluable and a wealth of knowledge for beginner, hobbyist and pro. You'll learn a lot.

Hope it was an even trade for the Shelby from the 65!! ;-)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1965Mustang View Post
    I will post some pictures under the light tonight as I am at work. To show you why I need help, I compounded the car, waxed it, applied the wet glaze, then used the finishing polish to really bring out the shine and took it all off. I have been reading the forum, tech help, and about products but I still cannot find a starting point. The Shelby looks good but after reading about the plastic baggy test the car felt like it had dirt stuck in the finish. I do not mind the effort but would like to do it right the first time and quit wasting money. Here are some pics of the 65 I just traded to get the Shelby. I appreciate any and all help.

Sounds like you missed out on the clay bar before the polishing/compound. Step one would be wash the car. The way I clay the car is durring the wash, (The car soap lets the clay slide nice, but be warned the soap ruins the clay and will not all it to clump together. If that happens just wash it with water.

Use the clay bar not putting to much pressure and just letting it glide around on the paint, if you notice it sticks to some spots get some more water/clay lub. onto the paint where its sticking. Using the clay bar will remove that dirt in the finish you are talking about. Than you will more liking have to repolish to cover up any marring caused by the clay bar if any.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1965Mustang View Post
    Not sure these pics will help much as they show little. I do not see any swirls but surface is very rough even after compounding and waxing. I have been reading and watching videos all night.One question is it better to wash or use waterless wash like i always did with my 65?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Novice needs help-img_1415-jpg   Novice needs help-img_1416-jpg   Novice needs help-img_1417-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    First, Welcome!

Second, nice rides!

Third, read Mike's articles/videos, or experienced guys like BoobyG and others.
    Thanks. I have been watching and reading for several hours now. When I think I have enough knowledge I will start asking questions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast