autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just used Fg400 on a Hood. Car is a 2010 VW jetta. Used a MF cutting pad and all the swirls, oxidation, and water etches dissapeared . There are still some scratches though. I did six section passes SLOWLY. I'm wondering if the scratches are too deep for FG-400 to remove? can't feel then with my nail. Is it worth trying to take them out?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Menzerna FG 400 - One-Step Show Car Makeover

I would say NO.... once you nail catches the scratch it is generally too deep to polish out.

Especially if the car is your or your customer's daily driver.... You have to accept that a certain amount of RIDS will always be present in a daily, and trying to remove them all will only lead to a reduced clear coat, putting your car's paint at risk.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post

I just used Fg400 on a Hood. Car is a 2010 VW jetta. Used a MF cutting pad and all the swirls, oxidation, and water etches disappeared .

There are still some scratches though.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post

You have to accept that a certain amount of RIDS will always be present in a daily, and trying to remove them all will only lead to a reduced clear coat, putting your car's paint at risk.

So Dave aka Jomax lives in Arizona, a place with lots of extreme sunshine which means maximum exposure to UV rays which cause clear coat failure.

Then Lawrence aka lawrenceSA, a forum member from South Africa, another place with extreme sunshine, recommends taking the cautious path of learning to live with the deeper scratches.

Awesome.

Dave, Lawrence does make a good point. Your Jetta is going on 3 years old. Dr. Ghodoussi told me that the UV inhibitors in factory clear coats have a half life of 5 years and then deteriorate even more after 5 years.

If you plan on keeping the car then maybe learn to live with the deeper scratches to reduce the potential for premature clear coat failure, a problem accelerated by UV rays from the sun.

If they bug you though, then have at them again with a few more passes or reduce your footprint by using a smaller pad or even working on just the scratches themselves by hand. After working by hand you can come back and make a few cover passes by machine to clean up any hand induced marring.

Check out this article too... see post #14

Beginning Clearcoat Failure

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    So Dave aka Jomax lives in Arizona, a place with lots of extreme sunshine which means maximum exposure to UV rays which cause clear coat failure.

Then Lawrence aka lawrenceSA, a forum member from South Africa, another place with extreme sunshine, recommends taking the cautious path of learning to live with the deeper scratches.

Awesome.

Dave, Lawrence does make a good point. Your Jetta is going on 3 years old. Dr. Ghodoussi told me that the UV inhibitors in factory clear coats have a half life of 5 years and then deteriorate even more after 5 years.

If you plan on keeping the car then maybe learn to live with the deeper scratches to reduce the potential for premature clear coat failure, a problem accelerated by UV rays from the sun.

If they bug you though, then have at them again with a few more passes or reduce your footprint by using a smaller pad or even working on just the scratches themselves by hand. After working by hand you can come back and make a few cover passes by machine to clean up any hand induced marring.

Check out this article too... see post #14

Beginning Clearcoat Failure

I will leave them be.. It is a DD,(truck was killing me in Diesel) bought the car 3 months ago Used. Was hoping for perfection but the small chips on the hood keep that from happening. I must remember its a DD. thanks for the info guys! I'll try to post pics of it finished up!

Wish list:

Post Thanks / Like

After skimming through this thread and especially after Mike's in-depth review of the FG 400, looks like this will be a product on my list next order. I do a lot of shows in the Spring/Summer here in PA so something like this will come in handy to get that perfect finish rather quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blongo804 View Post
    After skimming through this thread and especially after Mike's in-depth review of the FG 400, looks like this will be a product on my list next order. I do a lot of shows in the Spring/Summer here in PA so something like this will come in handy to get that perfect finish rather quickly.
    Works great, took out everything but RIDS for me.(paint was JACKED) But I used it in Volkswagen paint which is known for its hardness. I used it on a piece of black painted trim on the car and it finished flawlessly. Would buy again!

Wish list:

Post Thanks / Like

Mike - how do you see the 400 used vs the 4500?

I have used the 4500 and a gray pad on a brand new car (mine) with amazing results....
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing color!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post

Mike - how do you see the 400 used vs the 4500?
    Hmm.....

FG 400 is an aggressive compound and SF 4500 is an Ultra Fine Cut Polish. I see the FG 400 used to remove defects and the SF 4500 used to max out the gloss and clarity after all the correction and polishing steps are completed.

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I have used the 4500 and a gray pad on a brand new car (mine) with amazing results....
    I think the SF4000 is one of the best, if not THE best Ultra Fine Cut Polish available that I've used and one strong feature is it works consistently on a wide range of paint systems, with a wide variety of pads and tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, what kind of speeds would you suggest using this product at on a rotary and/or da buffer? I'd imagine a higher speed (5-6) on something like the Porter Cable?

I absolutely love the entire line of Menzerna compounds/polishes and this will definitely be included in my next order. The working time on every Menzerna product I've ever used has been tremendous.

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast