autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire cleaner - what product should I be using?

I'm easing into the car Wash, Seal, Wax and Maintain process.

I've got my Winter sealants on paint, and tested out the ONR Rinseless Wash for salty Winter days. I found a Tire shine product I like and got the wheel maintenance working well.

I'm moving to Tires. I've been just using a brush & left over car wash water to clean the wheel before applying Tire Wet with an applicator. I also maintain weekly with applicator to keep the shine.

* Should I be doing more to keep tire itself clean before each Tire Wet application?

* Is there a WOWO product or foaming product I can use to clean tire in the winter when Freezing water can be an issue? I won't have access to alot of rinse water in the winter.

I'm open to all and any suggestions on Tire cleaning & maintenance. Up until now, I've been winging it. Keep in mind that Old man winter is around the corner, and I need to factor that in.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire cleaner - what product should I be using?

First let me say, that after many years of just cleaning tires with car wash soap as you describe, a few years ago I started using a dedicated tire cleaner. The problem is I didn't use it ENOUGH.

When you really scrub with an alkaline tire cleaner, and repeat enough to get all the brown out of the suds (as described in the Tuf Shine prep), it's amazing how much longer your tire dressing lasts.

I have been using a dilutable cleaner that isn't sold here, but when I use that up I'm going to try OPC. There is also the Eagle One A2Z and the Mother's wheel and tire cleaner, which are OTC (Mother's also avail. here). Other Autogeek choices are ARO and the Tuf Shine cleaner which will be availble here soon (or at ACC now). Other people use various APC's, including some OTC ones from Home Depot or Lowe's.

During the winter you can use your ONR straight, or use a tire cleaner and rinse with ONR (make sure you wear some gloves if you are doing that).
    Last edited by Setec Astronomy; 10-16-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

You can try Poorboy's Bold n Bright when you cannot use a dedicated tire cleaner. It cleans and dresses.

For straight tire cleaners, Setec Astronomy covered most of the most discussed ones.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

During the winter you can use your ONR straight, or use a tire cleaner and rinse with ONR (make sure you wear some gloves if you are doing that).

I agree with Setec Astronomy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    First let me say, that after many years of just cleaning tires with car wash soap as you describe, a few years ago I started using a dedicated tire cleaner. The problem is I didn't use it ENOUGH.

When you really scrub with an alkaline tire cleaner, and repeat enough to get all the brown out of the suds (as described in the Tuf Shine prep), it's amazing how much longer your tire dressing lasts.

I have been using a dilutable cleaner that isn't sold here, but when I use that up I'm going to try OPC. There is also the Eagle One A2Z and the Mother's wheel and tire cleaner, which are OTC (Mother's also avail. here). Other Autogeek choices are ARO and the Tuf Shine cleaner which will be availble here soon (or at ACC now). Other people use various APC's, including some OTC ones from Home Depot or Lowe's.

OP, if you want to buy something, I researched a bunch and found the most recommended tire cleaner (as the best) is Tuff shine cleaner. The second most recommended one I found is OPC.

Btw, Setec two things you listed are going to be in my next thrifty vs fifty video comparison

Post Thanks / Like

Megs super degreaser @ 4:1 & a stiff brush

Post Thanks / Like

Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

ARO -- Amazing Roll Off

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner outperforms ARO and Optimum's APC in my experience. It is the best tire cleaner I have used to date.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Although you're going to need water, I use Griot's Rubber Cleaner and love it. My tire dressing lasts so much longer now that I use it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast