autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

black car owners advice please

I have taken all of the recommended steps on new black paint. Finished with 2 coats of sealant and it looks great. It is a daily driver and will see rain/snow through the winter in KY. I will try to wash the truck a few times this winter. My question is what is facing me next spring? Will the waterspots polish out without taking too much of the clearcoat? This plan has worked for me in the past, but it was with gray paint. I am afraid that the waterspots on the black will be too much in the spring. I want to be able to drive the truck this winter with confidence that the sealant has made it possible to correct in the spring, but I am unfamiliar with black. What is your experience and any thoughts? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: black car owners advice please

you should be in good shape in the spring. i would first just try a great paint cleanser. i love sonax nano cleanser.

Post Thanks / Like
    As the old saying goes, "black isn't a color, it's a full time job". Different paint systems will react differently, and as such no one can say for sure how your rig will look in the spring.
    The best you can do is try to keep it as clean as possible and deal with the mess come spring.
    Winter is coming here as well & the thought of using a snow brush on my painfully soft black paint is keeping me up at night.

Good luck...my advise...never buy black again. I know I won't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySheds View Post
    As the old saying goes, "black isn't a color, it's a full time job". Good luck...my advise...never buy black again. I know I won't.
    Yep, you dont own black. Black owns you.

Non Metallic black owns a show car finish when propely taking care of. Nothing looks better than black when done right but you HAVE to have the dedication and time to take care of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Yep, you dont own black. Black owns you.

Non Metallic black owns a show car finish when propely taking care of. Nothing looks better than black when done right but you HAVE to have the dedication and time to take care of it.
    Couldn't agree more. Black tells all from taken care of to neglected.

Post Thanks / Like

prepare prepare prepare. Get several waterless or rinseless washes and use as often as you see fit. Also use a paste wax often. If you get loaded with salt and road grime it will kill your lsp. I have two black vehicles and always try to keep a HIGH rinsless stock. I use frquently, I wax often if lots of snow and sleet etc. Wait till a warmer day and do full wash, but if you try and stay in front of the snow and salt etc you will be ok for spring. Just seal the hell out of it before winter gets here. I am mountain area of southeast also. I use colly 845 one coat sept or oct top with nuba, then around the week before thanksgiving another and then top with nuba, I use either NB,S100, PS. It has worked pretty good for me. IMO. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I had waxed my car with 845 and then after every wash would mist it with Griot's garage spray wax (was on bogo so gave it a go) and that kept the car beading all winter long. Also, I live on a dirt road in CT so get my fair share of bonding time with my car all year long but have been using a waterless wash rather than quick detailer and that has been awesome. This year my plan is polish it with Blackfire GEP and then two coats of Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection and then just either keep it parked most of the time or washed often topping off the LSP as needed. You should be good with the water spots if you keep it protected and just keep up on the cleaning. Takes time, but the end reflection is worth it!
    2008 Volkswagen GLI, Deep Black

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a girlfriend, dump her. Your black car is your new girlfriend.
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

Sell it. get a car that isn't black.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wgilles View Post
    If you have a girlfriend, dump her. Your black car is your new girlfriend.
    jajaja!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast