autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Nanoskin

Post Thanks / Like

Nanoskin

Mike,

Is the Nanoskin Fine a better alternative to claying? I noticed AG is selling the nano product line and you have not chimed in on the nanoskin? Feelings? Thoughts?

Tom Quinn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nanoskin

They just started selling the Nanoskin yesterday, I'm sure Mike will get around to commenting.

Post Thanks / Like

I curious how thier polishes and compound work.

Mike Phillips

As a company policy, no one here tends to introduce and demonstrate new products until they are in the warehouse, ready to ship and added to the Autogeek.net store.

I posted the below on October 4th and one of our forum members Buddy, aka Audi X2 was first to actually read through the course description and pick out the new addition...

Mike Phillips's Detailing Boot Camp January, 26th & 27th

Quote Originally Posted by Audi X2 View Post
    I noticed that you already mentioned one new product that I hoped AG would offer in the future!

I really like this new tool as I also really like the Speedy Prep Towel.

Tommy gets here with his 440 Cuda today about 3:00pm and we're going to make some videos showing how to use both the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad, (all sizes and all tools), and the Speedy Prep Towels.

Learn How To Machine Polish a 1970 Cuda with a 440 Big Block!

So hang tight...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RChicago View Post
    Mike,

Is the Nanoskin Fine a better alternative to claying? I noticed AG is selling the nano product line and you have not chimed in on the nanoskin? Feelings? Thoughts?

Tom Quinn

Question: Have you ever done the baggie test before claying and felt little bumps and then performed the baggie test after claying and while the paint definitely feels much smoother you still feel little bumps?

The Nanoskin Autoscrub removes everything. The paint feels as smooth as brand new glass... it obliterates everything off the surface.

Something I'm always telling people and teaching people is that,

Gloss comes from smoothness

In fact I have an article on this...

Gloss starts first with a smooth surface...

And I think we can all agree that a GREAT looking paint job looks glossy, like butter melting in the sun...

The Nanoskin Autoscrub makes your paint as smooth as mechanically and humanly possible and that means you've just taken the first step to maximizing the gloss on your car's paint.

Cool tool.

I've been in this industry a long time and I'm seeing, (present tense), more new technology being introduced than I've ever seen before. There's no better time to be a member of a cutting edge forum like AGO

More to come...

Post Thanks / Like

Mike... what do you think about it in regards to marring ? Will it haze the paint ?
    Posts from the past would show some worry about it and I was wondering now that you seem to got used to it, what would be your thoughts on these type of products now ?
    Some users also posted it won't leave paint as smooth as clay, and I was wondering if it was only a technique issue....
    High End Polishing (facebook) (blog)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DaC View Post
    Mike... what do you think about it in regards to marring ? Will it haze the paint ?
    Posts from the past would show some worry about it and I was wondering now that you seem to got used to it, what would be your thoughts on these type of products now ?
    Some users also posted it won't leave paint as smooth as clay, and I was wondering if it was only a technique issue....

I'm personally in the camp the best results for your car's paint are to always plan on doing at least one hand or machine polishing step after claying to,

• Perfect the finish
    • Remove embedded dirt
    • Remove any marring, swirls or scratches

Best results when doing any kind of work to any kind of paint are alwasy obtained by working with machine because the human hand simply cannot produce as good of results as your hand.

Here's the deal... paints are different in their softness or hardness. Some softer paints can be marred by using any type of mechanical means to remove above surface bonded contamiants. Mechanical methods include,

• Claying with detailing clay
    • Using a Speedy Prep Towel
    • Using a Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad

The thing is you might only see marring on dark colors because they tend to show defect more easily to your eyes than light colors. It's not that marring isn't happening to light colors it's just more difficult to see.

I'm a paint perfectionist by nature, that probably comes out in my articles, pictures and video on the Internet over the last 10+ years and in the real world since I polished my first car.

My expectations for a nice finish might be higher than others so for me, anytime any mechanical method of removing above surfaxce bonded contaminants is used I'm going to follow this with at least one machine polishing process and because most of the work I do is show car work, it will probably mean at least two machine polishing steps to get the paint to the level I demand for the cars I work on.

Others might not have the same expectations and skip any follow-up steps after using, detailing clay, the Speedy Prep Towel, or the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads.

A perfect example is the 1970 Cuda coming in today around 3:00pm, I wouldn't even think about having this car here if we wern't planning on perfecting the paint.

Stay tuned for videos and high resolution pictures.

I wish we could do a live broadcast of this project by Yancy is hot on another project. I do have more cool cars coming up in the future but it will probaby be after we return from SEMA.

Hang tight...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RChicago View Post
    Mike,

Tom Quinn
    It is AN alternative to claying, whether it is better or not or equal is up to you.

A competitor to the nanoskin is the speedy surface prep towel. Both the nanoskin and the speedy towel have had countless online reviews, and after watching or reading every single one I could find, I concluded (based on my readings, not on personal experience) that the nanoskin was simply more likely to haze than the speedy towel prep.

That's why I went with the towel. I made a video about it just a few days ago http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...than-clay.html

Post Thanks / Like

@Mike

Thank you for your reply Mike... I got what you mean.

I'm jumping on this as you guys are having a great sale on it, and it's worth getting at this price point to try and see for myself how it'll work on the paint type I use to have around here.
    High End Polishing (facebook) (blog)