autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots random orbital

Hey mike what's up. so I have a question since I am new to machine's. what happens if you go over the "sharp" edges on the car.

I was told if you go over them with a machine, that is the spot that will most likely get damaged first because its not a flat surface. I am really not sure how to go about detailing the car now since I was told that.

I will try to post a picture of a 2003 cobra hood to show you what im talking about. This is NOT my car guy's, so.

see how the hood has a lot of raises, edges etc? even where the hood meets the fender.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Griots random orbital-100_0378-jpg  
    2003 SVT COBRA
    Built and prepped by Mustang Magic (home of snakebite)
    Tuned by Joey at Mustang Magic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots random orbital

Edges will tend to receive more direct force from your hand or DA and with a smaller surface area you can get too aggressive without even realizing it; potentially more paint loss is possible compared to a non-edge surface.

Your safest approach would be to do those areas by hand and be mindful of how much pressure you are applying to the edges. Once you feel comfortable you may be able to go with a DA and get close enough to the edges while maintaining a level pad on the entire surface. It really depends on the body style, how sharp of an edge we are talking about, and lastly how much correction the edge really needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Edges/metal bends can also tend to have thinner paint to start with.

You could get some narrow (e.g. 1/8" wide) green 3M series 233+ masking tape and put it over the edges to avoid direct pad contact. Or the 3M blue vinyl as shown in RaskyR1's pic below:
    http://emob75.photobucket.com/albums...g?t=1273710941

Note the tape over the upper fender bend

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Edges will tend to receive more direct force from your hand or DA and with a smaller surface area you can get too aggressive without even realizing it; potentially more paint loss is possible compared to a non-edge surface.

Your safest approach would be to do those areas by hand and be mindful of how much pressure you are applying to the edges. Once you feel comfortable you may be able to go with a DA and get close enough to the edges while maintaining a level pad on the entire surface. It really depends on the body style, how sharp of an edge we are talking about, and lastly how much correction the edge really needs.
    Gotcha. I attached a picture of a 2003 cobra, which is what I have. I might just do the hood by hand. But, according to people on here, im crazy removing light swirl marks by hand lol.
    2003 SVT COBRA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SR99 View Post
    Edges/metal bends can also tend to have thinner paint to start with.

You could get some narrow (e.g. 1/8" wide) green 3M series 233+ masking tape and put it over the edges to avoid direct pad contact. Or the 3M blue vinyl as shown in RaskyR1's pic below:
    http://emob75.photobucket.com/albums...g?t=1273710941

Note the tape over the upper fender bend
    That is not a bad idea. Im going to pick up some of that tape. what about when applying wax? Do I still have to worry about the edges?
    2003 SVT COBRA

Post Thanks / Like

Wax or other things not intended to abrade paint are fine w/out taping.

Post Thanks / Like

ok good. I just thought that the actual machine even with wax would damage the edges on the car. unfortunatly as you see from the pic, the cobra hood is intense. so many line's etc
    2003 SVT COBRA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stangfreak View Post
    ok good. I just thought that the actual machine even with wax would damage the edges on the car. unfortunatly as you see from the pic, the cobra hood is intense. so many line's etc
    It can happen but it's more difficult to burn paint with a DA, even at the edges. Paint is thinnest there and so you definitely shouldn't let your orbital linger.

Wax, especially applied with any type of finishing pad with no "cut" will not damage the edge at all.

Just tape off as much and as best as you can, be prepared for a huge "ball" of tape by the time you're done though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Madness87 View Post
    It can happen but it's more difficult to burn paint with a DA, even at the edges. Paint is thinnest there and so you definitely shouldn't let your orbital linger.

Wax, especially applied with any type of finishing pad with no "cut" will not damage the edge at all.

Just tape off as much and as best as you can, be prepared for a huge "ball" of tape by the time you're done though.
    Yea I got some hex logic red and black pads. For the polish I just ordered the ccs white pads. But I will pick up some tape. Never thought of that before!
    2003 SVT COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't see the GG 6" RO doing any damage like that. I've got one and have used it many times w/o a problem and I'm a backyard detailer, go for it!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast