autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail trim tape won't come off

Sounds like you are talking about pin stripes. If so, 3m makes an eraser wheel that you put into a cordless drill, this will take the pinstripe right off.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a saying I came up with not long ago that may apply to you....

'A picture is worth a 1000 words'

Welcome to AGO Newbie

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

He's talking about actual trim pieces. For instance, most vehicles come with some sort of "ding guards" about half way up the doors to protect the door from, you guessed it, dings! Some ding guards are fastened onto the door with clips; some with two sided tape. Whether the OP is talking about ding guards or another part, it's essentially the same concept. There's some two sided tape that's been on the vehicle since it was built, so depending on how old the car is, it could be pretty old. Regardless, he wants that tape off. Now, I've removed ding guards off of a vehicle and yes, it's going to take a bit of patience, no matter what you do. You can try dental floss or fishing wire to try and cut through the tape as close to the body as possible, assuming the trim piece is still attached to the car. If you've removed them already, you can try using your fingernail, plastic razor blades, or some other form of plastic spatula and either Goo Gone or some other form of adhesive remover. Don't let the adhesive remover sit on the paint for long periods of time. Once an area of adhesive is removed, rinse that spot clean of the adhesive remover. Proceed until finished.

Just know that, depending on the age of the vehicle, that paint underneath the adhesive may look much better than the surrounding paint, or possibly worse if you had to get pretty aggressive with the adhesive removal. You may find yourself wanting to polish those areas out, if not the entire vehicle to obtain your desired results.

Hope this helps!
    Mark

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mike.Phillips@Autogeek;743227]Can you take a picture and insert it or attach it?

Even a cruddy cell phone picture would help...

I can do that when I get home

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i think he is talking about painted on pinstripes also. 3m eraser wheel and some polish afterwards and your fixed. unless they are vinyl, then use a heat gun and pull very slowly

Post Thanks / Like

Until the pictures happen no one really knows what he is describing, I know I'm lost.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are the pictures of the stripe tape I was referring to. The white/ gray stripe is the small amount The other picture with the brown/ straw color stripe is the one I can not remove.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Detail trim tape won't come off-cad-1-jpg   Detail trim tape won't come off-cad-2-jpg   Detail trim tape won't come off-cad-3-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, seems like you have adhesive residue. 3M makes an adhesiver remover (I've never used it)--not sure if this is the one everyone talks about or not: 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, bug and tar remover, adhesive remover, decal remover, tree sap remover

Post Thanks / Like

Since this is the actual pinstripe adhesive that's baked on you might need something stronger like lacquer thinner or enamel reducer, something along those lines.

Caution: These solvents are strong might affect the paint if it's not factory. I'd try the enamel reducer first and see if it has any affect on the residue.

Sanding

Apply masking tape to each side of the stripe to protect the finish because what you're after is the residue between them. Try wet sanding and use 400 grit course MAXIMUM on a hard block. If you think 400 is too course then go to 600 grit and proceed slowly.

Let us know how you make out....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12