autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for Advice on Serious Waterspots

Looking for Advice on Serious Waterspots

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've come from the Corvette Forum because I heard this is where to to ask the experts on paint care

So this is my problem...

I recently moved to Vegas. I had my 2008 Corvette shipped in a closed container. It was several days after it was delivered before I could pick it up. During that time it rained. The rain deposited a lot of dirt and sand on the car. It then baked in 110 degree heat for several days. It is now covered with indestructible waterspots. From doing a search on these forums for waterspots, I believe they are Type II. I tried several different non-abrasive techniques to get them out. Nothing worked.

I took the car to a detail shop in town. They performed a test on a small section of the hood. I watched one of the technicians buff it with a power orbital tool for over 15 minutes. He improved the finish, but the spots didn't come out completely. He told me he could get it out with a full paint restoration, which would cost me almost $900. Which I think is kind of pricey. The general consensus on the Corvette Forum was that is a ridiculous amount of money.

I called several paint and body shops, including Count's Kustoms here in Vegas. All of them said they would use a color sand and polish to fix the paint. One of the shops was extremely professional and knowledgeable. They answered my concerns about the process and assured me they would do it right. They quoted me $500. A number of people on the Corvette Forum told me a color sand is not what I should do. Others said they've seen color sanding produce excellent results.

So I'm kind of at a loss. I want this fixed, and I want it fixed properly the first time. The shop that quoted me $500 for a color sand cautioned me in a worst-case scenario, a re-painting may be required. I don't necessarily mind paying a lot to get it fixed, but I want a competitive price and quality work.

I have no experience with using power tools to buff paint, and I'm not going to experiment for the first time on my $50K car that was previously in pristine condition. It is a low-mileage, garage kept vehicle that was never previously exposed to inclement weather.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to provide all of the necessary information so that I could get the best possible advice. I would be very grateful for whatever advice you can give. Thank you in advance. I appreciate your time.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for Advice on Serious Waterspots

I am waiting for Mike to chime in. Im surprised your vette was not covered in the container during the trip.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReflectiveAuto View Post
    I am waiting for Mike to chime in. Im surprised your vette was not covered in the container during the trip.
    It was covered while it was being transported. Unfortunately I couldn't pick it up for several days after it was delivered. During that time it was parked outside, and that's when it rained.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover with great success! I highly suggest it, it's very safe to use and applied by hand! Check it out for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    i like the term indestructible... lol.
    i have a bottle of cg waters remove. have not have a chance to try on cars yet. but i try it on glass of my fish tank where there are tones of mineral deposit which most can't be wiped off. the cg waterspot remover did a good enough job.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VictoryRed08 View Post
    It is now covered with indestructible waterspots. From doing a search on these forums for waterspots, I believe they are Type II. I tried several different non-abrasive techniques to get them out. Nothing worked.
    -First: Welcome to AGO!

-Secondly: Sorry to hear of this misfortune.

-Since you've stated you've already done the "AGO search-feature", you're probably aware of certain Mike Phillips articles dealing with waterspots.

If your waterspots are indeed Type II, then this information, excerpted from said MP-articles may be of assistance:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    In order to remove a Type II water spot you must ABRADE the surrounding paint until the uppers surface of the paint is equal to the lowest depth to the water spot etching you're trying to remove.

Usually everyone wishes and hopes for the easy way out... no one wants to find out they have to compound every affected panel to remove little annoying round etchings.
    I took the car to a detail shop in town. They performed a test on a small section of the hood. I watched one of the technicians buff it with a power orbital tool for over 15 minutes. He improved the finish, but the spots didn't come out completely. He told me he could get it out with a full paint restoration, which would cost me almost $900. Which I think is kind of pricey. The general consensus on the Corvette Forum was that is a ridiculous amount of money.
    -I truly realize the 'hardness' of Corvette CC, but 15 minutes seems a rather long time period to be buffing on one small section of the hood...IMO.

It was wise to seek out a different "detailer"...Also, IMO.

I called several paint and body shops, including Count's Kustoms here in Vegas. All of them said they would use a color sand and polish to fix the paint. One of the shops was extremely professional and knowledgeable. They answered my concerns about the process and assured me they would do it right. They quoted me $500. A number of people on the Corvette Forum told me a color sand is not what I should do. Others said they've seen color sanding produce excellent results.
    So I'm kind of at a loss. I want this fixed, and I want it fixed properly the first time. The shop that quoted me $500 for a color sand cautioned me in a worst-case scenario, a re-painting may be required. I don't necessarily mind paying a lot to get it fixed, but I want a competitive price and quality work.
    -The: "Price-of-Quality" may not always be determinate of a person's Professionalism.
    Be wary that you're a "new kid in town"...Just saying.

-Also...Ever price a Corvette re-spray?!?!

I have no experience with using power tools to buff paint, and I'm not going to experiment for the first time on my $50K car that was previously in pristine condition. It is a low-mileage, garage kept vehicle that was never previously exposed to inclement weather.
    -Staying tuned to the AGO forum more than likely will relieve your power-tools anxiety!!

-Now...I could speculate the resolution to your waterspot-issue
    'til Kingdom come; but if you have the time...

Give AGO forum member Joe@Superior Shine a PM...
    If he's readily available, it'd be well worth the effort to drive down to Covina, California.
    [It's only 4 hours away (around 3 hrs. in your Corvette )].

-Good Luck in bringing your Corvette back to a pristine condition!

Bob

As a foot-note: S.E.M.A. is in Las Vegas pretty soon.
    AGO (including Mike Phillips) has a booth...A PM to Mr. Phillips may prove to be beneficial.
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find some answers to your problem here. I have zero experience with Corvettes, so I can't give you advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Those who would scoff at a $900 price tag to remedy an "over the entire car" type 2 water spot etching situation on super hard Corvette paint Have likely never gone through the necessary repair procedure themselves, and really don't understand the work involved in doing such a job correctly.

Having done several Corvettes now for Corvettes at Carlisle, I am in the know. I'd be at more than $1000 to do a job like that on a later model Corvette.

I'd personally suggest steering clear of anyone offering to do it for $500 as it leads me to believe they don't really know what they are getting into.

Just my 2 cents.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. As far as spray-on/wipe-off solutions go, believe me when I tell you these waterspots are well etched into the paint. As I said, I tried several non-abrasive techniques--many of which I was told would get results--and they didn't work. This is beyond my skills to fix, and I need professional help.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    -I truly realize the 'hardness' of Corvette CC, but 15 minutes seems a rather long time period to be buffing on one small section of the hood...IMO.

It was wise to seek out a different "detailer"...Also, IMO.

-Also...Ever price a Corvette re-spray?!?!

-Staying tuned to the AGO forum more than likely will relieve your power-tools anxiety!!

-Good Luck in bringing your Corvette back to a pristine condition!

Bob

As a foot-note: S.E.M.A. is in Las Vegas pretty soon.
    AGO (including Mike Phillips) has a booth...A PM to Mr. Phillips may prove to be beneficial.
    It may not have been fifteen minutes that he worked on it. But it was a good length of time. And even then it didn't completely fix the problem.

I have not priced a re-spray. I'd like to avoid getting it completely re-painted if I can. And maybe at some point (after lurking on this forum for a while) I may give the power tools a hand myself. Right now I just want to get this fixed. I will try giving Mr Phillips a buzz. Thanks so much for the advice.

What I'm really looking for right now is what technique should be used to correct this? I know the simply easy stuff is not going to work. It's been tried. The shops I've spoken to have all said they'd use a color sand. But when I mentioned this on the Corvette Forum a number of people sand I shouldn't do that.

In addition to what technique should be used, I'd also like to know roughly what I should be paying. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

This is beyond my skills to fix, and I need professional help.

Then I'm in total agreement with Dave's below posting:
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    to remedy an "over the entire car" type 2 water spot etching situation on super hard Corvette paint Have likely never gone through the necessary repair procedure themselves, and really don't understand the work involved in doing such a job correctly.
    The shops I've spoken to have all said they'd use a color sand. But when I mentioned this on the Corvette Forum a number of people sand I shouldn't do that.

Color-sanding/wet-sanding ...is...IMHO...a "very aggressive-method" that may remove more CC than you desire---or your vehicle even needs;
    but that will be the call of a professional detailer---after he/she has tried other less-aggressive methods/steps...
    such as compounding/polishing...first and foremost.
    In addition to what technique should be used, I'd also like to know roughly what I should be paying.
    Thanks again!

Again from Dave's posting:

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Having done several Corvettes now for Corvettes at Carlisle, I am in the know. I'd be at more than $1000 to do a job like that on a later model Corvette.

Have you considered this?:
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Give AGO forum member Joe@Superior Shine a PM...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast