autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

OC 2.0 Maintenance and high spot question

Gentlemen,

I applied OC 2.0 a couple weeks back, and I love it. It really looks great and beads like a badass. I have a couple of questions.

1. Are there any specific maintenance requirements for making sure i keep it tip-top? I have a layer of V7 on it.

2. I also missed a couple spots that people call "high spots". There are a couple areas that are a bit darker and need to be polished out and OC reapplied. What polish do you all recommend? I have Megs 105/205 and Wolfgang swirls remover.

Thanks for any help!
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Brilliant Black

"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OC 2.0 Maintenance and high spot question

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro3.2 View Post
    Gentlemen,

I applied OC 2.0 a couple weeks back, and I love it. It really looks great and beads like a badass. I have a couple of questions.

1. Are there any specific maintenance requirements for making sure i keep it tip-top? I have a layer of V7 on it.

2. I also missed a couple spots that people call "high spots". There are a couple areas that are a bit darker and need to be polished out and OC reapplied. What polish do you all recommend? I have Megs 105/205 and Wolfgang swirls remover.

Thanks for any help!
    You do not need to do anything specific for Opti Coat.

I like to top it monthly with Optimum Spray Wax. Other people like to top it with ReLoad or Permanon.

Whatever you put on it will not likely last long due to the properties of OptiCoat.
    OptiCoat is a great product. You should try it.
    If you are one of the 43% who do not pay FIT taxes, thank me for paying your share and my share.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro3.2 View Post

Thanks for any help!
    I would go with M205 and a finishing foam pad of some sort. If Wolfgang SR is less "abrasive" than M205, I would go with that instead but I have never looked into SR... Chris from optimum normally recommends Poli-Seal I believe which is a very light abrasive all in one.

A post oc application wipe will prevent this from happening for future reference. Wait till most of the panel has flashed and gently wipe a microfiber over the panel. If you cannot see the flashing due to lighting or color of paint, I have either just waited 2-3 minutes or applied opti-coat to the next panel and then wipe the previous panel.

Regarding the wax, nothing really needs to be done to opti-coat, you can clay it, iron-x it, and polish it as you would a normal finish and poli-seal is suppose to make a good refresher. You can sure apply wax to it, but I wouldn't use anything super fancy, as it is suppose to have trouble sticking to opti-coat. I have applied Optimum Car Wax and P21s Concours for fun, I would think Collinite 845 would be another good choice.
    M
    2012 Acura TL Graphite Luster 6MT AWD
    2013 Mazda Mazda3 Velocity Red 6MT

Post Thanks / Like

Its great to hear from another happy OC user. For the two high spots I would use a finish polish or the M205 you have by hand if theyre small or with a finishing pad via machine if they're more spread out. If you stop when the spot clears (excess product is removed), you shouldn't have to recoat

Post Thanks / Like

after one week, I was able to level a couple high spots with poliseal on a foam applicator by hand very quickly...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    Its great to hear from another happy OC user. For the two high spots I would use a finish polish or the M205 you have by hand if theyre small or with a finishing pad via machine if they're more spread out. If you stop when the spot clears (excess product is removed), you shouldn't have to recoat
    Chris you beat me to it! This is a really simple fix. Hand application of the mildest polish always works for me! Check frequently so as not to remove too much.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like
    An answer before my question, great forum.
    I'm getting ready to opti-coat my DD and because of the sales picked up a couple of bottles of the poly-seal that arrived today. It occurred to me do I need to use the poly-seal as my AIO to keep the finish up, will it even bond to the Opti-coat. It looks like its a recommended match. Unless I'm misreading the thread. It looks like a good match for a DD for the next few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those Opti enabled, if I've Opti-coated 2.0 my DD and use the Opti-Polyseal as my AIO does Opti-seal play in this situation.
    I already use the detailer and spray wax if I feel the need for a weekend "pop" on the car. Should I fill in with a quick spray of seal, will it even stick? Or should I pass it on to my son-in-law?

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomas View Post
    Hey Chris,

What type of pressure and how many passes are typical to remove the high spots?

Are 3 inch pads the best option?

Thanks!