autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

HELP Needed Please

I have just had a clear carbra installed on my new Black RS5 and they did a great job, problem was they rested the paper that the film was on on top of my bonnet and each time they removed the film it must of scraped the paint leaving surface scratches.

I was advised to use Menzerna Power Gloss which I did with a white compounding pad (think the pad was to aggressive) on a DA buffer. The part that I polished now looks like it's flat or has a hazey look to it. Tried taking some pics but can't capture the problem properly.
    I used Tar X to remove any polish residue and then re polished with a yellow finishing pad with Menzerna 2500 but had no improvement.
    Have I gone through the clear coat?
    Any help much aprreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP Needed Please

Without looking at it I can't tell for sure, but most likely you have NOT gone through the clear coat with a DA polisher unless it was forced rotation such as the Flex 3401 with improper technique. Which DA polisher did you use?

As far as polishes go, you need a fine finishing polish such as Menzerna's 106FA (SF 4000) or PO85RD (SF 4500)

Also remember those Menzerna polishes are DAT, which stands for diminishing abrasive technology. This means you have to give the polish enough working time to break down the polishing abrasives into smaller particles in order to attain a higher gloss, smoother surface with less (or no) haze depending on which polish you are using.

Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 FA, Menzerna Final Polish, Nano abrasives, finishing polish, professional polish

Menzerna Polish PO85RD, Mernzerna 85rd, Menzerna finish po85rd

Last edited by ForceField; 08-11-2012 at 11:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ForceField. I was in a bit of a panic as it's only a few weeks old. I have this machine Concours 900 Polisher
    I just tried some Swissvax Cleaner Fluid by hand and it seems to have improved. I don't have SF4000 but I have 5000 so I may try that

Post Thanks / Like
    surface scratches caused by some paper , ok . I'm really surprised that what damage was caused by that would require menzerna power gloss . which is their heavy hitter compound . usage of this product will in fact require usage of a finer polish and pad as stated above . should have done test spot and start with least aggressive approach first . I have no idea how bad the scratches could have been , but just being caused by some paper it really sounds unlikely that power gloss would have been needed . possible that u paint had some contaminates sitting in top and then the paper on top of that caused some more damage . what brand pads did u use ?

Post Thanks / Like

I should of asked here for advice first. Mike always says to start with the least aggressive product first which I did Menzerna 5000 and 2500 and it improved it but didn't totally remove them. Maybe I need to work on my skills with buffer first. Also get a better understanding of pad choice.
    I think the swissvax cleaner has fixed the dullness. I will have to check it again in Sun tomorrow. Won't be using Power Gloss or that pad on this car again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTY3 View Post
    I should of asked here for advice first. Mike always says to start with the least aggressive product first which I did Menzerna 5000 and 2500 and it improved it but didn't totally remove them. Maybe I need to work on my skills with buffer first. Also get a better understanding of pad choice.
    I think the swissvax cleaner has fixed the dullness. I will have to check it again in Sun tomorrow. Won't be using Power Gloss or that pad on this car again.
    I've never heard of Menzerna 5000, so I checked their site just now. No mention of 5000. SF4500 is their finest polish. Can you take a pic or provide a link to this polish you used? Menzerna 2500 would definitely not finish right because it is not a finishing polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Think it may of changed to 4500 now, here is what I have UF500O
    Menzerna Ultimate Finish UF5000 1L

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTY3 View Post
    Think it may of changed to 4500 now, here is what I have UF500O
    Menzerna Ultimate Finish UF5000 1L
    Thanks. Yes that is PO85RD which is SF4500. Menzerna sure likes to play around with the names they give their polishes. What they lack in naming, they more than make up for in polish quality though. They make some of the best polishes in the business bar none.

That polish should have finished nicely. If you can provide pics of the paint fniish we can determine what is wrong with it.

In the meantime, did you mark the backing plate of the polisher to make sure the pad is spinning?

If you apply too much pressure or have the speed setting too low, the pad will only oscillate and not spin, therefore you will get no cut. This is a safety feature of the free floating spindle assembly which prevents you from eating through your paint. It also prevents you from getting any gloss at all if you press too hard for the speed setting you chose. Marking the backing plate lets you see when the pad stops rotating so you can back off on the pressure until it spins again.