autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

? about live broadcast, your reply...scratches

Hey Mike,
    I watched most of the episode Thursday night and it was informative, but not a good connection on my end so I missed quite a lot.

Anyway, one guy asked you in the garage something along the lines of, "what about these scratches" in which you replied something like, "We aren't worried about those tonight." Again, I forget the nuances of that brief interaction.

I assume that there were a few deeper longer scratches or such, thus my question.
    What is acceptable? For instance, on my new truck, I used a medium and finer polishes, looks great but there are several longer deeper ones that still bother the heck out of me! I plan on working on them when my new pads come next week.
    How do you go about getting rid of them, or do you?

I know several years ago after being one of the original members here and getting into it (for fun) I had an older black vehicle that I must have compounded/polished 20 times one summer either to experiment or work out more of those types of scratches. But as time passes, I have less and less time to redo things.

So, just looking for insight or thoughts. I know there's likely no correct answer, but?!
    Thanks man
    I serve society by ROCKING!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ? about live broadcast, your reply...scratches

Mike was talking about random isolated deep scratches (RIDS)..these are scratches that you can feel with your finger nails. Those require paint and wet sanding. It's very difficult to match especially on metallic paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterguitar View Post
    Hey Mike,
    I watched most of the episode Thursday night and it was informative, but not a good connection on my end so I missed quite a lot.

Anyway, one guy asked you in the garage something along the lines of, "what about these scratches" in which you replied something like, "We aren't worried about those tonight." Again, I forget the nuances of that brief interaction.

I assume that there were a few deeper longer scratches or such, thus my question.
    What is acceptable? For instance, on my new truck, I used a medium and finer polishes, looks great but there are several longer deeper ones that still bother the heck out of me! I plan on working on them when my new pads come next week.
    How do you go about getting rid of them, or do you?

I know several years ago after being one of the original members here and getting into it (for fun) I had an older black vehicle that I must have compounded/polished 20 times one summer either to experiment or work out more of those types of scratches. But as time passes, I have less and less time to redo things.

So, just looking for insight or thoughts. I know there's likely no correct answer, but?!
    Thanks man

Post Thanks / Like

Mike mentioned that the RIDS would require wet sanding and that was beyond the scope of last night's activities. Mike also gave reasons why you wouldn't spot sand them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks. I just heard the question and a part of the reply...then...ole' internet freezie up.
    I serve society by ROCKING!