autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Buff Pad Size/How many of each?

Hi All,

Novice here with two questions:

I have a PC 7424XP which I used only once so far. I bought the 6in backing plate with LC CCS smart 6.5in pads-(2)orange, (1)course green, (1)soft green, (1)gray/blk, (1)red, and (1)gold. I read that the PC 7424 works best with the 5in backing plate with 5.5in pads. What do you all say?

How many pads of each color does the average person need? Is my beginning set up of pads sufficient?

Please advise- Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buff Pad Size/How many of each?

The PC7424XP definitely works better with the 5.5 inch pads. I don't like to clean my pads during the detail, so 6 pads in each size (yellow, orange, white) works well for my GT-R. I use less pads (1-2) for glaze/sealant/wax application because the pads don't get gummed up with paint particles. You can get away with less pads if you clean on the fly or use the pad cleaner device.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drbobbybones View Post
    The PC7424XP definitely works better with the 5.5 inch pads. I don't like to clean my pads during the detail, so 6 pads in each size (yellow, orange, white) works well for my GT-R. I use less pads (1-2) for glaze/sealant/wax application because the pads don't get gummed up with paint particles. You can get away with less pads if you clean on the fly or use the pad cleaner device.
    exactly what he said ^ , i also read it works a lot better with 5.5 inch pads. and drbobbybones you own a GT-R?!?!?! nice! thats like my dream car!

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend a 3 inch backing plate and pads also...makes it a lot easier to get the small areas. Any of the pads you haven't used they may exchange for you...

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3 to 4 pads per car 4 to 5 for an suv. I do clean on the fly. I really don't see the need for 6 yellow heavy cutting pads unless you are working on very hard paint of very major correction. I also typically only use one pad for lsp application, really dont know why you would use more than one unless it got contaminated with dirt or something.
    I either use the flat pads or Hydro Tech pads. I like the hydro techs because there are only 3 pads to own. The Cyan for cut, the Tangerine for polish and light correction and Crimson for jewelling or LSP application ( some will say the crimson has cut and should not be used for LSP's but Lake country says its good and I personally have never had any issue.) These are my favorite pads due to their superb finishing and they just don't seem to absorb as much product! 4 cyan and 4 Tangerine and maybe 2 crimson for LSP's and I feel you are set!

Yes, make the switch to 5.5" pads, You will be happy!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Buff Pad Size/How many of each?

Quote Originally Posted by drbobbybones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx495 View Post
    exactly what he said ^ , i also read it works a lot better with 5.5 inch pads. and drbobbybones you own a GT-R?!?!?! nice! thats like my dream car!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I would recommend a 3 inch backing plate and pads also...makes it a lot easier to get the small areas. Any of the pads you haven't used they may exchange for you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    I use 3 to 4 pads per car 4 to 5 for an suv. I do clean on the fly. I really don't see the need for 6 yellow heavy cutting pads unless you are working on very hard paint of very major correction. I also typically only use one pad for lsp application, really dont know why you would use more than one unless it got contaminated with dirt or something.
    I either use the flat pads or Hydro Tech pads. I like the hydro techs because there are only 3 pads to own. The Cyan for cut, the Tangerine for polish and light correction and Crimson for jewelling or LSP application ( some will say the crimson has cut and should not be used for LSP's but Lake country says its good and I personally have never had any issue.) These are my favorite pads due to their superb finishing and they just don't seem to absorb as much product! 4 cyan and 4 Tangerine and maybe 2 crimson for LSP's and I feel you are set!

Yes, make the switch to 5.5" pads, You will be happy!
    Thanks much to all of you for the great input!!