autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Clear Bra

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear Bra

Well, I let the dealer talk me into a clear bra on my new Outback.

He put it on after I completely detailed (clay, polish, seal, wax) the paint.

How do I protect the protector now to keep it as clear as the clear coat?
    What should I NOT use on it?
    Can I Porter Cable it?
    Have I made a big mistake here?

Thanks,
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear Bra

Hey Ron,

First off, you have not made a mistake. I WANTED my dealer to put one on my new car but they wouldn't do it, I had to go to an installer to get it done. I love it. I have it on 4 cars, one of which has had it for 5 years and it still looks great.

You want to treat it as if it were part of the car's paint. Use proper washing and drying techniques. You can wax it as you would regular paint. I avoid Carnuba waxes on it though. Check Xpel products, they make the clear bras and have a few chemicals to properly care for them. Their sealant is especially nice (I use that in place of wax).

I had some swirls on the bra and used my PC 7424XP w/ Megs M205 to remove them with no ill effects on the bra. Just be careful and always do a test spot.
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Xpel on my truck and two other cars and I love the stuff. One car is dark blue and it will show any etching or staining that the film has. My suggestion is to use a sealant on it (Xpel offers one). I use the same product as I use on my paint (currently Blackfire). I didn't seal mine right away and I had some issues with staining and water etchings but I was able to polish them out after speaking with someone from Xpel for guidance.

Keep it sealed and it should look great for years. I plan on using Opti-Coat on the film soon. If it would stop raining I could get it done.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread. I always wondered how to treat clear bras but kept forgetting to do a search.

Thanks, everyone
    Hassan

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, good info.

I've searched AG and can't find an Xpel sealant.

Can you give me a link for them?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's available from Xpels site. I have it and use it sometimes, but sometimes I just use whatever sealant I am using. It's like a traditional sealant, like Powerlock or Wet Diamond. I use this product, or whatever sealant topped with what ever wax I'm using on my clear bra. The only caveat is, you may want to tape the edges when waxing, as product can get under it and leave a white wax residue. I always cover the edges when polishing paint around it. I have never polished the clear bra.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I've found that dedicated/purpose-made PPF products are best for over the long-haul...

-Good suggestions on the use of Xpel's products...I use their PPF cleaner and sealant; as well as...
    Premier Protection Film's products line-up

Buffing PPF...

-What "brand" of PPF did you have installed? Was it this brand's newest/latest generation version?
    -Most, but not all, PPF can be 'buffed'. If there's ever any doubts...Contact the manufacturer/installer.

What products not to use on PPF...
    -Plexus, or its ilk...It was designed/is-best-for: polycarbonate...not polyurethane.
    -Products that contain naptha/kereosene (many waxes, detail sprays)...
    with one exception: Turtle Wax's Ice Synthetic Detail Spray... (that's what I use on mine for 'quick-detailing' purposes.)

-I will suggest to remember that PPF is not bullet-proof...
    There may even be a few: "have to live with blemishes" that it will incur during its life-span...

-And with the costs ($$) of PPF...No sense taking chances on the usage of 'incorrect products'.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti