autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey all you frequent waxers I have a "?"

The carnuba on my car is only about a month old but I would like to wax again to get a nice shine coat. Besides wax seems to last 2-4 months. I'm just a little early.

Do I have to strip off the remaining wax that is on the car now? Or can I just wash and rewax? On a related note i applied Blackfire WD and a coat of Meg's gold class carnuba about a month ago when the car was brand new? Does the sealant make a difference? The car is a metallic light grey.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hey all you frequent waxers I have a "?"

if it's wax you want to reapply then wash and apply. If you want to try out a new sealant however then I'd strip and maybe use a paint cleaner first.

Do you use any spray waxes? OCW and DG aquawax are a couple good ones. If you want to get that freshly waxed look in half the time, especially since your base protection is still fine, then try a spraywax after your next wash as part of the drying step or after the car is mostly dry...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I would just reapply the wax - after 6 months considered starting from scratch.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Spray Wax idea. As I wash every 2 weeks or so, doing a complete re-wax on a Ford Expedition is not my greatest idea of fun...lol. Griots Spray Wax (with its drying agent) allows me to do do my truck in under 15 mins.
    I drive a Ford Expy and the wife drives its illegitimate offspring - a Nissan Cube...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a problem putting wax over clean wax. Some waxes are even designed for that such as CG's Butter Wet Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    if it's wax you want to reapply then wash and apply. If you want to try out a new sealant however then I'd strip and maybe use a paint cleaner first.

Do you use any spray waxes? OCW and DG aquawax are a couple good ones. If you want to get that freshly waxed look in half the time, especially since your base protection is still fine, then try a spraywax after your next wash as part of the drying step or after the car is mostly dry...

Wax over wax / wax over sealant / sealant over sealant - yes
    Sealant over wax - no

There are some exceptions but this is the general rule.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy hand applying my ever growing wax collection but I strip my LSP and start fresh every 3 or so applications OR if I want to see a new wax's durability, looks, application etc. by its self.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. This just answered a questioned I had. I spent a whole day going through the whole process this last weekend, claying, then UC, UP and NXT 2.0. Started around 8:00 AM and finished up around 5:00 PM Saturday. Got a little too much sun, even though it was overcast. My truck looks sweet though. But I was wanting to put a coat of wax on it Sunday, but didn't feel up to it. But this answered my question.
    If you always do, what you've always done, then you will always get what you always got