autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Topping Wax with Wax

I'm wondering how you guys are using different waxes. What I mean is, I'm guessing the majority of us who use a wax, first clean paint / polish the apply their sealant of choice. After it cures, we "top" it with a wax. The question I'm asking is, when you want to change you wax or try a new wax do you:

A.) Strip everything of the finish using a paint cleaner / wax remover and start again: sealant than wax.

------------------ OR -------------------------

B.) Just wash the vehicle and apply the wax (assuming the surface is fairly defect free).

I was doing A.); but it seems like it may be a bit overkill if I just want to try a new wax. I'm sure I could get away just fine with B.). But, what are you guys normally doing???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping Wax with Wax

If using a nice priced wax like Fusion, then at a minimum use a paint cleanser like Prima Amigo or OPC.

You want it to bond and last.

If no time, then spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like

The picture of the Blue Coral jar in the first link brought back memories. I used it on my first car, a 1972 Toyota SR5. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bottle of Simoniz super Poly, I guess that'd what its used for. Could I use it over a cleaner wax?

Sent from my Desire HD using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I'm wondering how you guys are using different waxes. What I mean is, I'm guessing the majority of us who use a wax, first clean paint / polish the apply their sealant of choice. After it cures, we "top" it with a wax. The question I'm asking is, when you want to change you wax or try a new wax do you:

A.) Strip everything of the finish using a paint cleaner / wax remover and start again: sealant than wax.

------------------ OR -------------------------

B.) Just wash the vehicle and apply the wax (assuming the surface is fairly defect free).

I was doing A.); but it seems like it may be a bit overkill if I just want to try a new wax. I'm sure I could get away just fine with B.). But, what are you guys normally doing???
    I sealed and waxed our cars a couple of months ago (this included claying and paint correction). Every few weeks or so I top the vehicles with a little more wax to keep them shiny and protected. I might even top with a different wax now and then. However, I will not strip down to the paint at these times. No need to. The old layer of wax hasn't worn off yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KenR View Post
    I sealed and waxed our cars a couple of months ago (this included claying and paint correction). Every few weeks or so I top the vehicles with a little more wax to keep them shiny and protected. I might even top with a different wax now and then. However, I will not strip down to the paint at these times. No need to. The old layer of wax hasn't worn off yet.
    Same here. Come fall, then I'll strip everything.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

In my case, I always strip everything, and I don't do that sealant then wax combo thing - I stick to one LSP. I'm at the stage where I'm trying out the LSPs I have (still have twenty+ to go through), so I strip down using a paint cleaner to ensure that I'm able to properly gauge how durable the LSP will be. I don't do the sealant+wax combo for the same reason, and also because sealants don't necessarily last longer than waxes. I also don't do top-ups with spray waxes, again to ensure that I'm able to properly determine how well the LSP performs.
    Francis

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by truckbutt View Post
    The picture of the Blue Coral jar in the first link brought back memories. I used it on my first car, a 1972 Toyota SR5.
    Ha... I owned a 1972 Corolla... it was great little car...

Quote Originally Posted by truckbutt View Post
    Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
    No problemo...

:d