autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Layering Sealants & Waxes

My question is specific to how well waxes work over sealants. I've read a couple articles here on AGO on the topic and the general concept I take away from those articles are that Sealants are preferred for long term protection while waxes often provide that gloss & shine that sealants can't.

When using products from different manufacturers, there doesn't seem to be any guide to what will and will not work in layers - waxes bonding to sealed paint? Do Sealants tend to stop waxes from bonding properly? Are there product lines that are made to work together to ensure both products do thier job?

Over the years I have gathered a few products that I really like and want to use, but feel that I must choose because Im not sure the application of say Collinite 845 would be ideal over say... Wolfgang paint sealant? Does it even matter?

I generally use Sealant twice a year and I wax each time I wash the car. Up until now, my method has been to Seal the paint and let it cure. Then I apply Collinite 845. The very first time I wash the car after that, I will switch to Meguire's NXT paste wax if I have time to use a DA. If no time, I'll use a spray wax.

I'd feel a lot better if I knew each of these applications were not going to waste.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Layering Sealants & Waxes

I put 845 over Menzerna Power Lock (sealant) and I seems to work fine. I even put Liquid Souveran or Dodo Juice Purple Haze as a topper on occasions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KenR View Post
    I put 845 over Menzerna Power Lock (sealant) and I seems to work fine. I even put Liquid Souveran or Dodo Juice Purple Haze as a topper on occasions.
    Ken - yeah I hear you - most of what I do "seems to work" because the car looks great and I guess that's all that matters in the end. Thanks for the additional datapoint with other products.

But I wonder if I'm wasting any particular product (and the time & effort to apply it) because maybe the toppers look good but may actually react with the Sealant, reducing how long either one or both of them lasts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbosrule View Post
    Ken - yeah I hear you - most of what I do "seems to work" because the car looks great and I guess that's all that matters in the end. Thanks for the additional datapoint with other products.

But I wonder if I'm wasting any particular product (and the time & effort to apply it) because maybe the toppers look good but may actually react with the Sealant, reducing how long either one or both of them lasts?
    When I top off the car with some Dodo Juice, etc. theoretically, the 845 is still between it and the sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Liquid Souveran, Fuzion, Collinite #845, M26, Meguiars Gold Class, and Midnight Sun over BFWD and M21 and never had a problem. I don't know that anyone has ever tested the durability of sealant alone vs sealant + wax. I think that the carnauba acts a a sacrificial layer for the sealant. The problem occurs when you try to put a sealant over a wax.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I've used 2 coats of Opti-seal with a coat of Collonite 915 over that. Looked fine. Then I had to add a coat of Fuzion over that,(damn VIP Special!!). Seems to glow now. No issues.