autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

$200 Paint Thickness Gauge

I've notice some PTG in the $200.00 or less price point online and on EBay. I'm wondering, are these decent? Or, do you have to pay much more? I even saw one on EBay for 80 bucks that will give you a range. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $200 Paint Thickness Gauge

I'm wondering the same question. Rasky1 on this forum, who does some great work, uses a meter that can be had for $249.99 brand new from the company itself. That meter seems to be a quality unit from what I've read up on it. You might check out some of his recent threads in the Show n' Shine forum to see what he's using.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

The Highline II sells in the low $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I've notice some PTG in the $200.00 or less price point online and on EBay. I'm wondering, are these decent? Or, do you have to pay much more? I even saw one on EBay for 80 bucks that will give you a range. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    The Highline II sells in the low $200.
    That's the meter I was referring to.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    I just saw this available from the Eastwood Company for 50 bucks!!!
    Luckily, the Eastwood Company is 10. Mins from my house. If you guys think the range is good, I'll be picking up one of these Monday. Check it out:

Product Description
    Original Paint? Be Sure! - Thick paint means problems.

Whether you're checking out a collector car or analyzing condition for a re-paint, it's good to know how much paint is on the vehicle. Reads from.001" to.015" with plus or minus.001" accuracy. Just place tip on paint and read scale as gauge is pulled away. Pays for itself in one use.

Product Details
    Manufacturer: Pro Gauge
    Manufacturer reference: 34065
    Item Weight: 2.2 ounces
    Shipping Weight: 3 pounds
    ASIN: B003CHFXR8
    Amazon.com Sales Rank: 66281

**** what do you think??? Could this work????

bmwgalore

I got a reader from eBay for $110.
    Precision wise it is perfect, it just doesn't have several memory function and stuff, but it works with any metal and the measurement is precise. For ME this is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some more info on this gauge. Apparently it's a "magnetic gauge" where you touch the metal panel, then slowly pull it away, then get a reading when it breaks free from the panel. Claims accuracy of 0.001". For , the price it seems good for what
    I want to do.

From the manufacturers website:

Pro Gauge II®

A Magnetic Coating Thickness Gauge that measures the thickness of nonferrous coatings on steel. Range: 1 to 15 mils (paints, platings, plastics, etc.)

Made in U.S.A. Available in Mils or Microns Scale

Accuracy at an Astonishing Price
    Increases profits and decreases risks. Greater Accuracy and Readability. Other magnetic gauges fail to compensate for the gravity effect so that they give readings differing by up to 40% when measuring paint of exactly the same thickness on top panels and side panels. Pro Gauge II®'s two scales give accuracy of better than .001 (one thousandth) of an inch. The large indicator and clearly marked scales make Pro Gauge II® fast and easy for anyone to use. Plus there's room for the user to add his own markings and scales.

The Importance of Measuring Paint Thickness
    Thick paint means problems. If the surface being painted has too much existing paint, cracking and other paint failure will soon occur. For example, application of lacquer paints and many enamels becomes risky over existing coatings thicker than .006. Even the most durable new enamels are likely not to last when applied over coatings exceeding .009.

More Efficient Magnet w/Longer Holding Power
    Top & Side Scale
    Heavy Duty Case
    Complete Instruction Booklet

Available Items - Literature

Prices subject to change Prices listed in US dollars for domestic shipments within US, Canada, & Mexico only Export orders require quotations - click here for a quote For more info call us 1-800-762-2478 or 954-946-9454.
    Item Number Item Prices
    DF-9503 Pro Gauge II (1-15 mil scale) Instrument supplied with storage case $69.50
    DF-9504 Pro Gauge II (25-375 micron scale) Instrument supplied with storage case 73.95

Post Thanks / Like

I had one of those Pro Gauge II's and sold it. It was disappointing to me. For the little bit less investment, the Highline is the much better choice IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bought a PTG via EBay. It seem to have nothing negative written about it and was $120.00. We will see when it arrives. Its called a TecPel TG-902 and is supposed to be similar to the ones Harbor Freight had before.

It looks like this:

I bought it so I can figure out where I am at in terms of polishing my cars. Basically, I would like to get a baseline, and see how much clear I'm taking off with fine polishes in the future do I can figure out how often I can do it. In other words, I'm a little afraid to try new polishes as I don't want to overdo it. So, at least if I know whee I'm at now, I can see how much a standard polish session changes the readings, even if it's not super accurate

Of course, an in depth review and pictures will follow once it arrives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to the review... I'm looking into getting a ptg in the same price range soon.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast