autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down I'm in need of big help!!

Hey everyone!

I've been working on detailing my 09 Infiniti FX in black and I've run into some serious issues. The paint on car is rock hard. No matter what I couldn't get it corrected. So I stepped up to a Surbuf pad with Meguiar's M105 compound on speed 5 with medium pressure. After finishing it removed all the big swirl marks and rids, but there seems to be an excessive amount of some type of hazing. Under my LED lighting it looks like microswirls. I'm also seeing some light pig tailing. I made sure my pads are always clean and the surface I'm working on is clean. No hard pressure none of that!

So I decided to try and finish it up with a lighter combo. I used an LC orange pad with M105 and that didn't help remove any of the microswirling. I thought maybe I needed something lighter so I tried M205 and that didn't help either. I even tried a blue and grey finishing pad with Menzerna P01fa and some other products. NOTHING I do works!! No matter what the microswirling from the surbuf won't go away. I even went back to agressive with a LC yellow pad and M105/M205 and that didn't work either.

Did I ruin my paint?? I can't get the swirling and hazing to go away. I even tried different speeds on my PC 7424xp and nothing works at all. I feel like giving up

Please help me guys! I really appreciate it and thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm in need of big help!!

Need pictures. Does it have the self- healing paint? All infinities I have done, paint wasn't "hard" at all. Tricky to work with.
    If I remember right, under the hood there should be a sticker that identifies if it is "Self-Healing".

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it has that paint. I did polish it with a yellow pad last year with M105 and it came out great. But I wanted a 100% correction so I used a surbuf pad and thats when the problems started. The hazing and microswirls won't go away.

Post Thanks / Like

You sound like me. The car was probably OK, but you wanted it to be perfect and you played with it too much. I don't know. Would need pics. But overbuffing can burn thru the clear and cause some haze. Don't know. I would go to a professional. I never liked black, because every little swirl shows up. Perhaps rather than buffing, you could have tried a hand glaze and good wax to at least cover it,.

Post Thanks / Like

Also...what is self healing paint. Never heard of such a thing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I burned through the clear though cause when I went with a lighter combo some of the micro swirling did go away but not all of it.

Self healing paint has a special resin mixed in with the clear coat that microscopically melts when exposed to sunlight to fill in light scratches. Kind of a gimmick as it's never worked for me lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets hope its not thru the clear. If the clear is in tact, you are going to have to try as many combos as you can with what you have and change your technique until you find what works. Its all you can do. I have read where people have corrected that paint, rolled it outside into the sun. Paint got hot and imperfections showed up, caused by the self-healing. How true this is, I don't know. Like I said I only read it.

If I was going to guess what happened is, the paint really isn't that "hard" however it is hard to correct. Got to aggressive with pad product and caused more harm than good.
    Power finish/ white pad is what seems to work on that paint the best for me. Good luck and let us know how things end up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan View Post
    . I have read where people have corrected that paint, rolled it outside into the sun. Paint got hot and imperfections showed up, caused by the self-healing. How true this is, I don't know. Like I said I only read it.
    This has happened to me, and I didn't even need to roll it outside. Started correcting the car and when I was ready for the next step, where I had started looked like I had barely done anything to it.

Without seeing pics, I'd guess your description fits what is called micro-marring. Your 105/orange should have done the trick but you'll need to use some pressure because even though these aren't technically swirls, they are a defect all their own and will need to be cut out.

Some pics sure would help out.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.