autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Water Softner Question

I'm thinking of getting a hose water with the dual cartridges. Not the CR Spotless, but the less expensive one AG sells where you can recharge the carriages with salt. I know that it won't be "spotless", but it should help. Here's my question, how can you tell when the cartridges need a recharge? Isn't the TDS reading the same before and after a brand new cartridge on these type of systems, since you are just REPLACING calcium and magnesium with sodium chloride, isn't the TDS the same? So how clan you tell if the cartridges need a recharge ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water Softner Question

You are correct, a TDS meter won't work with softened water, because the TDS is roughly the same. I use a little test strip, I'm guessing you can get them at Amazon or a place like that. Wow, those are expensive, $14 for 50! They are made by Hach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You are correct, a TDS meter won't work with softened water, because the TDS is roughly the same. I use a little test strip, I'm guessing you can get them at Amazon or a place like that. Wow, those are expensive, $14 for 50! They are made by Hach.
    Thanks a lot for your input, so I'm guessing the test strips can distinguish between the different ions. Good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Thanks a lot for your input, so I'm guessing the test strips can distinguish between the different ions. Good idea.
    The hardness test strips read hardness in GPG (grains per gallon) or PPM (part per million). It's calcium and magnesium. You can also titrate it, but trust me, you don't want to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Hach hardness drop test kit model B-5 (titration) is a very simple test and you get 100 tests for roughly $18. It's a very painless process and cheaper too. A lot of titration testing involves sulfuric acid which can be scary and dangerous in the wrong hands. The liquids and reagents in the model B-5 kit are harmless and work from 0 to 30 grains of hardness. When I say harmless, I mean it won't burn your skin. I don't recommend drinking anything from the B-5 kit though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Hach hardness drop test kit model B-5 (titration) is a very simple test and you get 100 tests for roughly $18.
    I have a LaMotte...and I'd rather do the strips! Of course your resolution is 100 times better with the titration, so that's what you want to do...on those days you are setting your water softener.

EDIT: I looked at that B5, that sure looks simple. The kit I have allows you to separately measure the calcium and mag...which is really of no value for setting your water softener. Mine has a graduated syringe, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys seem to know a lot about this. Maybe you could advise me. I don't think my water is super hard, just moderately. But I would like to make it softer, because if it's sunny it does spot badly on the hood and windows. So, I went to Lowes and bought a 10 dollar water test lot that measures 7 things, one of them being hardness. I filled the vial, and dipped the test strip as directed. It came out light blue, which means soft(er) water. The thing is, I looked at the scale on the kit that you use to measure, and in order for the dip stick to turn to the next color, it had to be quite hard. I repeated the test.
    Same results. So, I'm guessing my water isn't super hard, but I would like to get a more specific reading and take it from there. So, I'm guessing a good plan of action would be to order one of the titration kits off Amazon, or a more sensitive dipstick test, as the Multi reading dipstick didn't seem to have a sensitive enough scale to tell you really how low the TDS was (it was a wide range)? Thanks for your advice.