autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Interpreting your pad

Hey Mike, I was wondering how to interpret my pad while buffing. Like if there is build up of product in a certain area, what does it mean? Or if it looks worn in one spot, and if it turns black from maybe rubbing on some trim or something, is it okay to keep buffing.

Anything you can offer on what to look for on your pad, and how to interpret them, both before and during polishing, would be great.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interpreting your pad

Can I piggy back on this thread? I was going to ask a related question so if you don't mind I'd like to post it here vs. making a new thread.

Mike, using the Flex 3401 with Lake country 6.5" pads, namely the white and gray, I'm getting a "ring" of hard dense polish around the edge of my pads under intense use. I'm applying Menz IP with the white pad and FF with the gray, my speed settings seem to be at the recommended level and the product is finishing nicely. But this crusty buildup I'm seeing on the pad edge worries me that it might mar up the surface of the next section so I keep stopping and removing it. Is what I'm seeing normal? Am I using too much or not enough product, or is there another method I could apply to keep it from happening?

I'm using the XMT pad care combo for my CCS pads as well. I apply the blue conditioning spray as directed, I wonder if that could be the cause of the issue?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for letting me butt in Buggy, hopefully we can both get some advise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRageDetail View Post
    Can I piggy back on this thread? I was going to ask a related question so if you don't mind I'd like to post it here vs. making a new thread.

Mike, using the Flex 3401 with Lake country 6.5" pads, namely the white and gray, I'm getting a "ring" of hard dense polish around the edge of my pads under intense use. I'm applying Menz IP with the white pad and FF with the gray, my speed settings seem to be at the recommended level and the product is finishing nicely. But this crusty buildup I'm seeing on the pad edge worries me that it might mar up the surface of the next section so I keep stopping and removing it. Is what I'm seeing normal? Am I using too much or not enough product, or is there another method I could apply to keep it from happening?

I'm using the XMT pad care combo for my CCS pads as well. I apply the blue conditioning spray as directed, I wonder if that could be the cause of the issue?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for letting me butt in Buggy, hopefully we can both get some advise
    Since you didnt mention this i just have to ask. Are you cleaning your pads after every panel or every other panel? Although you cant see it since your abrading the paint you actually have a built of layer of abraded clear and spent polish on your pad. This has to be cleaned off in order for your polish/compound to work correctly. If its not cleaned it will cause marring if built up enough and not cleaned also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy Bath View Post
    Hey Mike, I was wondering how to interpret my pad while buffing. Like if there is build up of product in a certain area, what does it mean? Or if it looks worn in one spot, and if it turns black from maybe rubbing on some trim or something, is it okay to keep buffing.

Anything you can offer on what to look for on your pad, and how to interpret them, both before and during polishing, would be great.

Thank you!
    You shouldnt have a build up of product on a certain area of your pad since when buffing your supposed to keep the pad flat at all times. And if you didnt tape off before polishing you will most certainly have a little black stain on your pads when you rub it against trim. The staining can go away along with other things on your pad if you clean them properly though .

Post Thanks / Like

this crusty buildup I'm seeing on the pad edge worries me that it might mar up the surface of the next section so I keep stopping and removing it
    Quote Originally Posted by RhetoricMixes View Post
    Since you didnt mention this i just have to ask. Are you cleaning your pads after every panel or every other panel? Although you cant see it since your abrading the paint you actually have a built of layer of abraded clear and spent polish on your pad. This has to be cleaned off in order for your polish/compound to work correctly. If its not cleaned it will cause marring if built up enough and not cleaned also.
    Thanks for the reply, yes I'm cleaning it with a nylon brush, and XMT pad conditioner applied to a microfiber after every other section or so. I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking at so I have been playing it safe. Good thing, too. Guess my instincts were right

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply, yes I'm cleaning it with a nylon brush, and XMT pad conditioner applied to a microfiber after every other section or so. I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking at so I have been playing it safe. Good thing, too. Guess my instincts were right
    No problem . As long as you clean it often you should be good to go!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.