autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have so much respect for you pros. You work very hard. Thanks!

Mike and everyone:

Just want to say thanks for all the tips, tricks and advice I got from Autogeek.

I just finished my first 15 hour exterior detail of my car and every part of my body aches. ha ha It took me Friday, Saturday and Sunday but it was a labor of love and I was blow away with the results.

I give myself a 7.5 out of 10, and I am sure a 30 plus hour detail on the exterior by one of the pros here would take out every last remaining mark. Yes its a black daily driver and I never went more aggressive then the swirl remover with the orange pad.

I have a new found respect for those pros that do the extensive paint correction. It seems like an art form and you guys must work really really hard!

First off I two bucket washed, then scrubbed and dressed the tires and rims.

Then I clayed the entire car.

I started with the porter cable and 5 inch flat Lake County pads, orange, then white then blue with the the Wolfgang trio, Total Swirl Remover, Finishing Glaze and Deep Paint Sealant.

I read as much as I could and watched many of Mike's videos. It took me almost 7 hours to just apply the swirl remover to every panel. I was going slow and doing small squares and several slow passes and checking my work with a light. That process was SO time consuming. My car has tons of curves and smaller spots and angles. And sometimes I needed to hit the same spot several times before all the swirls were gone.

After that I applied the Wolfgang Polish/Glaze, and then finally the Deep Sealant. Lastly I followed up with a light coat of Collinite.

As an amateur and car nut this was an incredible process and I can honestly say I may become addicted. However, I think because I have a black car, and its a daily driver I will never get it perfect. I still noticed a few deeper scratches from an inch or two away under a light that I could not get out. I had nothing more aggressive and to be honest, I don't know if I want to go anymore aggressive.

To the naked eye in the direct sunlight the car went from a 6 to a 10. No questions at all. However having just bought it from a dealer I am very disappointed with the detail work. I have a feeling they used something with fillers to keep the car looking nice, they never took the time to remove the marks. I guess I can understand why, it takes several hours.

Anyway, this was my first 15 hour exterior detail and I hope it lasts for a while. Thank you everyone for all your help!

I am going to post some before and after shots. I am simply an amateur with a porter cable. I am very please with my results. Any and all comments are appreciated! CMI have so much respect for you pros. You work very hard.  Thanks!-old-door-jpg

I have so much respect for you pros. You work very hard.  Thanks!-old-front-1-jpg

I have so much respect for you pros. You work very hard.  Thanks!-old-quarter-panel-4-jpg

I have so much respect for you pros. You work very hard.  Thanks!-old-rear-5-jpg

I have so much respect for you pros. You work very hard.  Thanks!-new-pass-side-jpg

I have so much respect for you pros. You work very hard.  Thanks!-new-pass-rear-jpg

I have so much respect for you pros. You work very hard.  Thanks!-new-d-side-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I have so much respect for you pros. You work very hard.  Thanks!-new-drivers-side-roof-jpg   I have so much respect for you pros. You work very hard.  Thanks!-new-field-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have so much respect for you pros. You work very hard. Thanks!

Congratulations! it's so nice to see somebody do a write up that's brand-new and mentioned that he took the time to read and go through all the videos here So many people just jump in and and don't spend the time to learn what they need to do....

it's a labor of love but it's certainly worth it!
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Great job and beautiful car! You should be very proud!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Congratulations! it's so nice to see somebody do a write up that's brand-new and mentioned that he took the time to read and go through all the videos here So many people just jump in and and don't spend the time to learn what they need to do....

it's a labor of love but it's certainly worth it!
    , couldn't agree more!!!

Outstanding work on your ride sir! It looks outstanding and the aches and pains for 15hours was well worth it!! Congrats!
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice job!
    Something you might consider is to get a 3.5" backing plate and some 4" hydro tech pads. With all the small angles and narrow body lines I think they would be a valuable benefit to you to make your job easier!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm no pro, but I feel the same pain we both share together.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris

That car is sweet ! I am getting ready to order a porter cable and a lot of products to start doing this with my cars. I hope thay look half as good as yours does. I have been trying to watch a couple of videos a night to get ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, car is beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey man, great work - looks like a pro did it! Also, since it's black, it'll be ready to be detailed again next weekend, ha-ha! I jest because I have a black car as a daily driver. What was I thinking?!
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car, and great job on it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast