autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Decals / Stripes

I'm new to detailing and just bought a 2012 centennial edition corvette. It has large black stripes running the length of the hood, roof, and trunk.

I'm working my way through Mike's book, and I haven't seen decals / stripes mentioned. I did some searches a found some recommended products like Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer, but as a newbie I was hoping for some more hand-holding.

Is this the correct product? I understand I should clay the stripes (if necessary). Polishing is a no. What about waxing?

At what point during the wash / clay / polish / wax should use the Matte Detailer? After I'm done, or sometime earlier?

I'm guessing I should tape off the stripes so I don't get any polish on them? How well does the 3M tape hold with a DA polisher brushing up against it?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Decals / Stripes

Yes that is the correct product for a satin finish cleanser and UV protectant.

I'd definitely tape them off and a dual action polisher should not give the tape any trouble. I'd use the detailer for the stripes last, given you'll be putting tape on it during the paint polishing process. The detailer will remove any leftover adhesives or tape lines that develop while its on the vinyl.

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek Online!

Congratulations on your new purchase!!

Mikes book is a great guide for the beginner and pro and everything in between. Mike clearly articulates the importance of car care and the right way to keep your car looking new for years to come..

Once I'm through with the wash and clay steps, I'll dry everything and tape all those areas I want to protect. Taping those stripes is very important as you mention. When I tape them I overlap the stripes by 1/8 of an inch to ensure they stay protected.

When your polishing be particularly careful when contacting the tape to ensure nothing's finding it's way under the tape. I use the green painters tape and occasionally the blue type as well.

Protecting the stripes can be accomplished with the product you mention or a clear sealant like Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful car! The helpful people on the forum will help you keep it that way.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy