autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tar everywhere! Cleaned it off, but what's with my paint now?

I don't know what I drove through, but I got tar everywhere, and I mean everywhere - the front, the grill, the wheels, both sides up to the windows, and the rear end. The wheel wells were completely coated. I tried all sorts of things to clean it, which didn't work, until I tried some carb cleaner. That cleaned it great! I tested a tiny spot first and it seemed fine, so I sprayed more of it on a paper towel till it was pretty wet, and it just wiped the tar right off.

Thinking it bad to leave carb cleaner residue on the paint, I did a thorough washing right after. When still wet, it all looked perfect again. But after it dried, there is this subtle haze of swirls everywhere I cleaned, making the paint look slightly cloudy when in direct light. FYI, the paint is a metallic blue-green color.

Did I wreck the paint with the carb cleaner, or did it damage the clearcoat? Or did it leave some film or something on the paint that I now need to use another product to take off completely? When cleaning the paint, it wasn't scratching or rubbing or smearing or anything - and it looked like new again until some time after washing, once everything dried all the way. I've since washed it more times, and it always looks great when still wet, but the subtle swirls come back when it dries.

Thanks for any advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tar everywhere! Cleaned it off, but what's with my paint now?

It appears that you will need to polish and seal/wax.
    Quote Originally Posted by jersrt View Post
    I don't know what I drove through, but I got tar everywhere, and I mean everywhere - the front, the grill, the wheels, both sides up to the windows, and the rear end. The wheel wells were completely coated. I tried all sorts of things to clean it, which didn't work, until I tried some carb cleaner. That cleaned it great! I tested a tiny spot first and it seemed fine, so I sprayed more of it on a paper towel till it was pretty wet, and it just wiped the tar right off.

Thinking it bad to leave carb cleaner residue on the paint, I did a thorough washing right after. When still wet, it all looked perfect again. But after it dried, there is this subtle haze of swirls everywhere I cleaned, making the paint look slightly cloudy when in direct light. FYI, the paint is a metallic blue-green color.

Did I wreck the paint with the carb cleaner, or did it damage the clearcoat? Or did it leave some film or something on the paint that I now need to use another product to take off completely? When cleaning the paint, it wasn't scratching or rubbing or smearing or anything - and it looked like new again until some time after washing, once everything dried all the way. I've since washed it more times, and it always looks great when still wet, but the subtle swirls come back when it dries.

Thanks for any advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Carb cleaner will strip the wax and sealant off the paint for sure. I have had people put it on a freshly polish aluminum wheel and instantly the finish is dulled. Also do not spray carb cleaner/ brakleen on anything plastic! It will degrade the plasitc, melt it or cause it to crack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jersrt View Post

Thanks for any advice!
    I'd say your paper towel caused marring, and that is what you're seeing. This is why it's always best to use quality tools and products when touching your paint, or you will end up creating even more work for yourself.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies so far. Do you think that applying on a new coat of wax and sealer would be enough to get it looking shiny and smooth again? And any suggestions of what's best to use in this case and how to go about it? I've never done waxing before, and I see there are loads of products and suggestions and links on this site on this topic... my head is starting to spin!

Thanks again.

bmwgalore

No, in order to remove those swirls you must polish the paint beforethe sealant and wax.

We need photos to give you more precise information, but bottom line is:

1. IronX the paint
    2. Clay
    3. Polish with Meguiars 205 on a WHITE lake country flat pad.
    4. Polish again with Menzerna SF4500 on a BLACK lake country flat pad.
    5. Apply the sealant/wax you like the most (i recomend Finish Kare 1000p, $16) with a BLUE lake country pad.

But depending on the condition of your paint, it may require some compounding before hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I had that happen with Tarminator on the rocker panel of my 67 Cougar. I flipped out when I saw it. I hit it with some one step and an orange pad and it fixed it right up.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, and I'll see if I can put a photo on here to give you a better idea of the condition now too.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone recommend the best way to deal with such "tar apocalypses"? I've seen or heard about this happening over the past few years. Worst case was a beautiful new orange Camaro that got into a road unmarked as newly tar-gravelled, the guy got it all over his car by the handful (literally, especially the wheel wells) and was furious about it., rightly so.

Post Thanks / Like

Review: CarPro Tar X

I agree with Shane, the paper towel scratched it and the carb cleaner dulled it.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast