autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mike Phillips

Re: WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!! Swirls galore :(

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post

Perhaps it would be beneficial to use something like AutoGlym High Definition wax as your LSP. It has terrific gloss and also has some filling capabilities to help hide some of the light swirls that are clearly driving you nuts.
    Just to note, any wax that works fills.

I'm sure some coat over and fill-in better than others but by definition, if a car wax or synthetic paint sealant is leaving itself behind on the surface then it is coating over and filling-in.

Post Thanks / Like

Very informative thread, to put it simply, the size of your pad is a big issue and going aggressive with the M105 first was not the best option. The least aggressive method should be tried first then if that doesnt get the desired look you should go to a more aggressive approach. I had a similar issue when I first got my pads and PC, i tried using an aggressive compound and 7in pads and got awful results, then I tried the 5.5 pads and it worked wonders.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

There is not much more that can be said, but there are 2 issues that you are dealing with. One is "easy" to take care of. The "other" issue I am afraid will not go away.

1 - the good news is that you can get a fantastic finish with the products you have, maybe even get it PERFECT.

2 - maintaining black paint, that is the bad news. Every time you wipe your car, you will mar that paint. I prepped a brand new Roush flat black Mustang and took 30 hours to correct. Never would I offer my services to wash it. Let alone spot wipe it.

I'd just focus on getting rid of the haziness and use a slick LSP so that when you wash your car stuff comes off easier. And stop wiping your car. Wash it instead. Good luck.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a Toro leaf blower to dry my cars...works like a champ and no chance of swrils.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok should i purchase the Super Finish PO 106 FA or Menzerna Finish Polish PO85RD?
    How do i know if my paint is ceramic? All i lnow is that its 2012 Lava Red Metallic
    Im going to step fown to 5.5" pads and buy a gray/black with some quality microfiber towels (many of them)
    Can i use a 5.5" pad on a 6.5" hook and loop base or will o need to purchase a smaller base as well?
    Found out my washing mitt is a chinelle (sp?) microfiber that was purchased at Staples for $1.00. I thonk om gonna go with some sheep mitt. What do you guys think?
    Im going to purchase a roll of flannel fabric 100% cotton 108" wide and 21' long and use it as a car cover. Its a lot chraper than a custom made flannel cover, dont have to sew together old flannel bed sheets. I only need it to drape over car to keep dust off. What fo you guys think about that idea? Or should i do a stretch cotton knit fabric 90% cotton 10% spandex which is 110" wide and 21' long? I basically want a light weight scratch resistant dust cover.
    Let me know your thoughts
    2012 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 PREMIUM 1of519 LAVA RED
    WORK IN PROGRESS
    www.SPEED-NEEDS.com MOTORCYCLE DRAG RACE LOWERING STRAPS

Post Thanks / Like

PLEASE HELP ASAP so I can order my stuff

Ok should i purchase the Super Finish PO 106 FA or Menzerna Finish Polish PO85RD?

How do i know if my paint is ceramic? All i lnow is that its 2012 Lava Red Metallic

Can i use a 5.5" pad on a 6.5" hook and loop base or will o need to purchase a smaller base as well?

Found out my washing mitt is a chinelle (sp?) microfiber that was purchased at Staples for $1.00. I think I'm gonna go with some sheep mitt. What do you guys think?

Im going to purchase a roll of flannel fabric 100% cotton 108" wide and 21' long and use it as a car cover. Its a lot cheaper than a custom made flannel cover, dont have to sew together old flannel bed sheets. I only need it to drape over car to keep dust off. What fo you guys think about that idea? Or should i do a stretch cotton knit fabric 90% cotton 10% spandex which is 110" wide and 21' long? I basically want a light weight scratch resistant dust cover.

Let me know your thoughts
    2012 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 PREMIUM 1of519 LAVA RED
    WORK IN PROGRESS
    www.SPEED-NEEDS.com MOTORCYCLE DRAG RACE LOWERING STRAPS

Post Thanks / Like

• Adding fresh product to spent product and removed paint adulterates the fresh product, it also dilutes it.
    • Buffing with a dirty pad will be more difficult.
    • The product will cake-up on the face of the pad.
    • The product will become gummy on the paint and hard to wipe off.
    This was exactly my expierience this weekend using the Griots BOS, a pure pain in the you know where to remove. But now I know! next time will be better. I only used 1 red 1 orange that came with the Griots DA. I am waiting for my 5" backing plate and multiple pads I have on order(first order from AG!!) Should be here tomorrow.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SOREBACK View Post

PLEASE HELP ASAP so I can order my stuff

If you're only going to purchase one product get the SF 4000 as it will offer more cut than the SF 4500 and you might need a little cutting power.

Treat all paint the same, use the least aggressive product to get the job done.

No. You need a 5" backing plate to use 5.5" pads. I have an article on this here and you can find it in my list of articles.

5" and 6" Backing Plates on 6.5" pads (Pictures to show safety margin)

Found out my washing mitt is a chinelle (sp?) microfiber that was purchased at Staples for $1.00. I think I'm gonna go with some sheep mitt. What do you guys think?
    I personally like brand new sheepskin mitts for show car finished but only for a few washes, as soon as they begin to look tatty then stop using them...

More important is to not SCRUB the paint when you wash, you only need to move a wash mitt over the surface for a few passes and then stop. I cover this in my how-to book under washing your car and I think I also addressed it in a recent live broadcast video.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234