autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Please HELP!!! Can my glass be saved....

Hey everyone,

Sorry this is my first post and I never formally introduced myself here. I have been lurking these forums for the past couple months. I originally came on this forum looking for help on how to polish out some glass scratches on my 06 trailblazer ss. I had some wiper traces on the rear windoshield as well as some scratches down both rear windows most likely caused by debris becoming trapped in the sill then marring the glass when the window was rolled down. Anyhow I read pretty much all the threads which involved any sort of glass polishing tips. I read a particular thread by member CEEDOG in which he used CarPro's CeriGlass to polish out some scratches. After reading this article I decided to order some of the product along with some Lake Country 4" Glass cutting pads and try this myself.

Fast forward to tonight....I used the 4" lake country glass cutting pads on my dewalt cordless drill. I made sure to keep the glass wet with water, i worked slowly with not a lot of rpms, and I applied firm pressure. I made sure to spray water on the glass anytime I saw the product starting to flash. After wiping away the product I noticed that the glass was way worse than when I started. I Believe the pads are what swirled and pig tailed my glass. I don't know what to do and I fear that my glass is ruined and now needs to be replaced. The swirling and pig tailing are not deep and can be seen when light is directly bouncing off of the area. They can not be caught with a finger nail. I took some pics to show the damage. Please someone tell me there is a way to correct this. If it helps anyone, I do own a Flex VRG 3401 DA which maybe a more aggressive foam pad on that would help remove these marks.

thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please HELP!!! Can my glass be saved....

Could it be the windshield wasn't entirely clean before you started? Did you clay before polishing? I think you can also try an LC Orange pad as long as you don't let the windshield get too hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feds27 View Post
    Could it be the windshield wasn't entirely clean before you started? Did you clay before polishing? I think you can also try an LC Orange pad as long as you don't let the windshield get too hot.
    Thanks for your reply. This was my driver side front door window btw. I cleaned the glass with glass cleaner several times but I did not clay it. I was thinking about trying the LC Cyan hydrotech pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Corey/CEEDOG used a Cyan Hydrotech and it seemed to work ok for him. Could it be the pad wasn't exactly flat as you worked it and the scratches were made by the edge of the pad? I would think a drill is harder to control than your Flex.

From Mike P's thread: The Glass Cutting discs are hard and thin, that's their characteristic, just an observation, not a negative or positive comment. The point is they are thin and hard and glass is hard so one thing that helps a lot when buffing glass is to use the glass cutting discs with a flexible backing plate which helps make the buffing process smoother.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Corey/CEEDOG used a Cyan Hydrotech and it seemed to work ok for him. Could it be the pad wasn't exactly flat as you worked it and the scratches were made by the edge of the pad? I would think a drill is harder to control than your Flex.

From Mike P's thread: The Glass Cutting discs are hard and thin, that's their characteristic, just an observation, not a negative or positive comment. The point is they are thin and hard and glass is hard so one thing that helps a lot when buffing glass is to use the glass cutting discs with a flexible backing plate which helps make the buffing process smoother.
    I kept the pads as flat as possible. The glass is curved a bit where I was working. The reason I used a drill was because I only have the GCP in 4" and I have a soft foam backing plate to use them with for more cushion. I'm so distraught over this I hope there's some way to get them out.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a video that shows the process with the Diamondite products. I'm not sure if they are Ceriumoxide based like Ceriglass.

Diamondite GlassWork Cleaning System - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

The previous link was for cleaning. The following is for polishing:

Diamondite Glass Repair kit - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the links. I really wish I could get my hands on a LC foam glass polishing pad. I'm almost certain that would fix my problem. Which yellow pad or other foam pad do you think I should try otherwise?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank20 View Post
    thanks for the links. I really wish I could get my hands on a LC foam glass polishing pad. I'm almost certain that would fix my problem. Which yellow pad or other foam pad do you think I should try otherwise?

I bought a LC foam glass pad a few years ago and it's not exactly a soft pad if that's what you're thinking. It's stiff and hard, unlike their polishing pads. It's more like their tangerine hydro pad foam than polishing pad foam, but stiffer, so I don't know how well it does curved surfaces. I still haven't tried it partly for that reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what this intermittent problem seems to be with with Ceri-Glass, but there used to be a Diamondite Glass Resurfacing Creme which according to Mike Phillips contained cerium oxide, but it hasn't been available for more than a year...I've never heard an explanation as to why it's no longer available. I used mine once on what I consider to be soft glass, using the LC hard glass pads, and didn't have any problems like the OP.

EDIT: Here is the page, but you can't find it through the menu: Diamondite® Glass Resurfacing Crčme

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast