autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Streaking issues with applying waxes/sealants

Hey everyone I have a general question on something that I've been having trouble with. Over the past few years I believe I have become quite good at repairing paint however for some reason I can't apply my LSP without streaking. It's very frustrating to put a good 8 hours into restoring paint and then not being able to having it looking its best at the end. Anyways, here's my process, I apply my wax (usually 845) with a blue LC pad, let it sit for around 10-20 min then wipe off with about 2 to 3 brand new microfibers. My thoughts are that I am either applying too much wax, not letting it haze enough, or that I need to use more microfibers. Also I don't always strip off my old wax before reapplying new wax. Could this contribute to my problems? Thanks for your time and hopefully you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Mike Phillips

Re: Streaking issues with applying waxes/sealants

First, keep in mind that a streak or a smear is the visual indicator of un-removed product. So the goal is to remove all the excess product.

Here's a tip for that... you can find this under the Waxes and Paint Sealants heading in my article list...

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish

Quote Originally Posted by oneill24 View Post

. Also I don't always strip off my old wax before reapplying new wax. Could this contribute to my problems?

That can contribute to a smear problem. The surface of automotive paint can only hold so much product before you hit the law of diminishing returns.

The Law of Diminishing Returns
    (Thomas Malthus "Essay on the Principle of Population" published in 1798.)
    It's usually a good idea to use a light paint cleaner or polish to clean the paint of any previously applied product and get back down to a fresh base.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you have a common problem with many brand waxes...regardless of how high their quality is. It sounds like you're applying the wax too thick or in high humidity...or both. What happens is the surface dries before the wax beneath it. When you try and buff it off it smears and streaks.

When the surface dries what's under it can't. The best way is to apply it very thinly. Add an additional coat if you believe it necessary.

To get rid of the smears and streaks simply spritz it with quick detailer or even water and buff it.

It seems the high grade waxes that don't have this issue have higher contents of petroleum products compared to carnauba. Carnauba is an important ingredient of a quality wax but certainly not the only important ingredient. The percentage of carnauba in a wax isn't always a measure of overall quality.

Post Thanks / Like

This is very common especially for dark cars and certain waxes or sealants. I found that usually it comes down to applying too much wax. 845 is a great wax but it's application can be tricky sometimes especially because it's so viscous.
    Try this method next time (long)
    Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax How to Articles
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for all the help I have a black civic that I'll strip the wax off and then apply 845 very thinly and see how it comes out.