autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: i think my brand new car was repainted at the factory

Give me the VIN and I'll run a carfax (autocheck) for you. It prob won't say anything but we can know for sure. You can pm it to me if you'd like
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

There's a much greater chance it was never re-painted. Could just be the look of the metallic. A PTG will tell the story.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are really helpful with a lot of good insight. Thanks for your input.

I am in DFW. Does anyone know a shop with a PTG that would take a look for me? The dealer has one, but if they haven't been honest so far, they may continue to be dishonest. Plus if it was repainted, I'd like to know what I'm going to tell them prior to taking the car in.

Yes, I'll send you the VIN so you can check. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feel around the edges, are they smooth? Look for differences in orange peel texture from panel to panel. Look for "fish eyes" in the paint.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely looks like the paint appearance is out of tolerance with the rest of the car.

It's unfortunate but it should have been caught at the factory. But the bottom line is that the Camaro is a mass produced car and each one won't get the attention of say the original production models fromr Mar-July 2010.

I think the dealer should respray and it should be warrantied.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm not seeing that...but it is weird that on both sides of your car, and on that other one, the doors don't seem to match the rest of the car. Maybe it's just the sculpting of the panels which makes the metallic paint look different because the angle of the lighting is effectively different. Does anyone know whether this car is all steel, or whether some of these panels are different materials?
    Yeah, the doors don't match the rest of the car in my eyes. But different metals is no excuse. Both my wife's and my car have aluminum hoods, our hoods match the steel fenders and the urethane bumper covers. Nissan 370Z have aluminum hood, doors, and hatch. Their paint matches the steel fenders.

Where GM's painting robots having a bad day! A disgruntled working messing with the programming perhaps? Bad batch of paint? Ditto what Mark said, I would be pissed! What if you wanted to collect the car for a bunch of decades, oops bad paint, car doesn't look collectible. Raw deal. Not getting your moneys worth IMHO. And forget about collecting, say you just want good paint to take pride in your ride? For what is pretty much the most valuable part of the car, the auto industry has really been cheating the new car consumer of substance and quality. Hmmmm, I wonder if enough concerned citizens wrote their congressman we could get some paint reforms in our favor?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely upset, but unfortunately a little defeated already. Even if they repaint it, the resulting panel probably won't be perfect, and I'll always know. So I'm trying not to get too bent out of shape yet.

Also I see this being an uphill battle with GM on getting them to fix the issue altogether, and at that point I'll wind up spending my own money to fix the problem. That result is definitely going to get me bent out of shape. So for now I'm trying to remain placid until it comes time to throw that tantrum.

So is the consensus to let GM repaint the panel (if I make it that far), or should I beg them to pay a reputable body shop to respray? After all it could be this very dealership that screwed it up in the first place, so a repaint by them may yield equivalent results.

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Feel around the edges, are they smooth? Look for differences in orange peel texture from panel to panel. Look for "fish eyes" in the paint.
    I've gone over it several times and it looks exactly like the other door panel, except with the tiger stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

This was mentioned before but..

I swear it looks like the rear quarters are much lighter than the rest of the car. Maybe the angle?
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGT View Post
    This is a GM paint problem unfortunately.

I have seen this in a lot of White Diamond painted vehicles. The worst I've seen is on the Cadillac DTS. It is easy to see on the side of a DTS since it's so flat and long.

Mom's escalade has the same problem.. white diamond. GM really needs to work on their metallic paint process.

I know.. it makes me sick too.
    I 've also seen this on my father's white Caddie Eldo. It's very easy to see with polerized sunglasses. When looking thru polerized glasses at his white Lexus you don't see this flaw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    This was mentioned before but..

I swear it looks like the rear quarters are much lighter than the rest of the car. Maybe the angle?

Definitely the angle. You can see its matching in other photos.
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast