autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: i think my brand new car was repainted at the factory

Quote Originally Posted by MI Mike View Post
    I agree. Discuss it with the dealership. There is a paint warrant, to cover defects, etc.

IMO. It looks like the driver rear fender was repainted. It may be the direction of the sun and reflection.
    WOW really?!?! here are a couple of pictures. you see any other areas that look repainted?

PS thanks for all of the replies. i like the argument that it is flawed and should be fixed under warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post

A dealership is allowed do up to 10% of the car's value in repairs and not have to tell the customer. So it could be that it was painted prior to being sold and they didn't have to tell you. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murman View Post
    I purchased a used 2003 Corvette last October. The build date for the car is 11/14/2002. I have a car report that indicates severe damage reported on 11/29/2002, left front impact with another vehicle, no mileage listed. These dates are only 15 days apart. Another entry in the car report states 12/26/2002, ACWORTH, GA, at 233 miles the car was listed in dealer inventory...
    If the dealer doesn't have to tell you about repaired damage not exceeding 10% of the value of the car, do they have to file a damage report like they did in Murman's case? I'm guessing yes because we have a duty to report damage exceeding $500, but I'd like confirmation. Dave? If so then it seems like it would behoove us to run a carfax on the VIN of a new car before signing (or add to the contract that damage reportable or otherwise is unacceptable).

-Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rix6 View Post
    If the dealer doesn't have to tell you about repaired damage not exceeding 10% of the value of the car, do they have to file a damage report like they did in Murman's case? I'm guessing yes because we have a duty to report damage exceeding $500, but I'd like confirmation. Dave? If so then it seems like it would behoove us to run a carfax on the VIN of a new car before signing (or add to the contract that damage reportable or otherwise is unacceptable).

-Rick
    They don't have to report it at all. I don't know if that is nationwide, but it's for sure in VA. Other thing that sucks for the customer is that the value is calculated at dealer cost. So if the dealer owns a bodyshop, they can charge themselves a much lower hourly rate so more damage can be repaired without having to tell anyone about it. I've seen it happen at dealers I've worked at...

Post Thanks / Like

here is something weird. another car just like mine, but not mine. i see the same uneven paint problems on the driver's door, no?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    They don't have to report it at all. I don't know if that is nationwide, but it's for sure in VA. Other thing that sucks for the customer is that the value is calculated at dealer cost. So if the dealer owns a bodyshop, they can charge themselves a much lower hourly rate so more damage can be repaired without having to tell anyone about it. I've seen it happen at dealers I've worked at...
    Wow, legalized fraud! I guess option number two, insist upon the addition of a no damage stipulation to the sakes contract before signing. If the car is undamaged, the dealer has nothing to lose. If they don't agree, "give me another car please" until they do.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a GM paint problem unfortunately.

I have seen this in a lot of White Diamond painted vehicles. The worst I've seen is on the Cadillac DTS. It is easy to see on the side of a DTS since it's so flat and long.

Mom's escalade has the same problem.. white diamond. GM really needs to work on their metallic paint process.

I know.. it makes me sick too.

Post Thanks / Like

75% overlap when painting metallics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
    here is something weird. another car just like mine, but not mine. i see the same uneven paint problems on the driver's door, no?
    I'm not seeing that...but it is weird that on both sides of your car, and on that other one, the doors don't seem to match the rest of the car. Maybe it's just the sculpting of the panels which makes the metallic paint look different because the angle of the lighting is effectively different. Does anyone know whether this car is all steel, or whether some of these panels are different materials?

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Can just see it in the above pic, but in the pics of your own car it's definitely highly visible. I know that bake temperature can heavily affect the final colour and flake distribution of metallic paint but I couldn't speculate on exactly what caused it on yours. Possibly that part of the door has some thick or heavy metal along certain parts of the door (inside frame) that cause the temperature of the outside sheet metal to vary significantly during bake oven heating (due to thermo-something inertia).

I have noticed some very very light tiger striping on new Hondas before but usually on silver metallic paint and so light only an Autogeek would notice it.

If it was my brand new car and it was as obvious as it is in your case I definitely wouldn't accept anything other than repairing the paint.

- Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse any grammatical errors
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Post Thanks / Like

How about getting buying or burrowing a PTG?
    Gary

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast