autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: i think my brand new car was repainted at the factory

I'm wondering if this is the result of a factory repair rather than a production line mishap.

When a "flaked" paint it applied it's important to lay down the paint as evenly as possible ensuring that the film thickness is minimal. By laying down a series of thin coats, the flake in the paint sets up quickly and evenly giving you a very uniform appearance in all light conditions.

It looks like the paint was applied in a vertical pattern. It also looks as it if it was applied too thick allowing the flake to sink making it appear darker in some spots and lighter in others. The way I used to solve for this was to lightly dust the panel again allowing the flake to become evenly suspended to ensure that uniformity I'm looking for..

From all the photos you've posted I'm wondering if the rntire car was painted by hand rather than a robot on an assembly line...

Most if not all factory finishes are applied by robots using a pressurized system and high speed rotating heads.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqMP6WX2o-g&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SPFDD1F1BEA FC77490]P-500iA/P-700iA Car Body Prime, Paint & Seal Robots - FANUC Robotics Industrial Automation - YouTube[/video]

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I am skeptical the car was manually painted vs. a robot, only because this car is not mine and I can see the same unevenness in this car's door, too. Wouldn't it be totally unusual if both cars had their door repainted in the same manner?

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
    here is something weird. another car just like mine, but not mine. i see the same uneven paint problems on the driver's door, no?

Post Thanks / Like

I am skeptical the car was manually painted vs. a robot, only because this car is not mine and I can see the same unevenness in this car's door, too. Wouldn't it be totally unusual if both cars had their door repainted in the same manner?
    Yes, it would be rather odd to find another Camaro with identical flaws in its paint.

To be honest, I don't see the level of defect on in this paint as I do yours.

The angle is slightly different so this might hide some of what you're seeing. The front fender and door look like they match well and the rear quarter only looks darker due to its angle to the sun. I suspect that if the the rear quarter weren't flared the color would match pretty well...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    To be honest, I don't see the level of defect on in this paint as I do yours.
    If you look between the mirror and door handle on that car, you can see the hue changes slightly from dark to light, very similar to my door. It is not as obvious, but I can still see some stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

If you look between the mirror and door handle on that car, you can see the hue changes slightly from dark to light, very similar to my door. It is not as obvious, but I can still see some stripes.
    I think it's pretty clear, especially after watching that video that Bobby posted, that this is simply some programming problem with the robot, which shows up more with this color. It may be the path that it follows to go around another robot, or simply too fast or too slow on that panel. I don't think anyone can tell you what to do, you have to balance the risk of the repaint vs. how much agita the defect is causing you now. I think over time you will get used to the appearance, and it will just be the way the car is to you.

Or try this. If you get it repainted, and it has no stripes but doesn't match the rest of the car perfectly, will that be worse or better than now? Or if it has some drips or fisheyes, will that bother you less or more than the tiger striping? Perhaps the answers to those questions will help you make your decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think it's pretty clear, especially after watching that video that Bobby posted, that this is simply some programming problem with the robot, which shows up more with this color. It may be the path that it follows to go around another robot, or simply too fast or too slow on that panel. I don't think anyone can tell you what to do, you have to balance the risk of the repaint vs. how much agita the defect is causing you now. I think over time you will get used to the appearance, and it will just be the way the car is to you.

Or try this. If you get it repainted, and it has no stripes but doesn't match the rest of the car perfectly, will that be worse or better than now? Or if it has some drips or fisheyes, will that bother you less or more than the tiger striping? Perhaps the answers to those questions will help you make your decision.
    I understand, but it appears the panel is getting worse with time. I've gone back and forth on this because I really don't know what to expect, both with the current panel deteriorating and the potential problems with the repaint. Based on all of the responses here, it seems the repaint is probably a crap shoot, which seems to be the same story with leaving it alone, too.

I'm just frustrated I have to deal with this at all on a brand new car. This is why I bought brand new in the first place, to be completely honest. I looked at several used Camaros but wanted one that was perfect. Ugh, in hindsight...

I'll go talk to the dealership when the sun comes back out and see what they say, and then go from there. But unless the dealership is willing to give me a body shop credit to use at a later date, as long as the paint is deteriorating with time, I don't see how I can avoid a repaint at this juncture.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, even with a new car, perfection is elusive...as it is with everything in life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Unfortunately, even with a new car, perfection is elusive...as it is with everything in life.
    I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot in Mineral Grey Metallic. I ordered the car and picked it up the day after it was delivered. After I brought it home and was doing a good walk around, I noticed the RH rear door had two very small dings. The paint was not damaged at all in the area of the dings.

The dings are on the inside of the door skin and face outward...

I am living with my problem. I believe a repair and repaint of my door would look worse than the factory installed dings...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213