autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question The Uber expensive waxes...what are they REALLY?

Over the years I've seen from time to time these VERY expensive waxes, ranging form $1000 for some Zymol product that I can't remember the name of, please forgive me, to this recent Swissvax that's $3500. Now I know there's guys out there that can spend that money all day long, so my question is this, what's really in there that makes it cost so much? Is there a "real" advantage to these products? I know this, years ago when I found Pinnacle Souvern and it was $60.00 a tub I thought that was alot of money. I mean I bought the stuff and thought it worked pretty well, especially on this 88' M-B 560 SEL I used it on, actually seemed to change the color the car (charcoal gray) and when the lady came to pick up the car she had tears in her eyes because of how it looked (not patting myself on the back, the wax gets all the credit there I believe!)

I'm sure you fair and unbiased about this so please, clue me/us in on this and forgive me if this has beena asked before too.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Uber expensive waxes...what are they REALLY?

The usual range of responses on this is "I'll never spend any more than $xx on a wax" "why would you spend $1800 on a wax when you can get ABC for $30/50/80/150?" "you just don't understand (the $1800 wax) until you've used it".

The direct answer to "what's really in there that makes it cost so much" is some wax, some hyperbole, and some marketing expertise.

IMO there is some scale of diminishing returns...yeah, maybe an $1800 jar of wax is better...but is it really $1720 better than a jar of Souveran etc?

Let the arguing commence.

Post Thanks / Like

Overpriced

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I am aware, Carnauba wax comes from the leaves a type of palm tree so unless there is some magic palm tree somewhere I'd say it's just a wax that feeds the image or spending needs of the purchaser.

I'd bet the forces that drives a man to spend that kind of coin on a tub of wax has absolutely nothing to do with wax at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my take....

On a properly prepped car I don't think that 95% of the people will be able to tell the difference between fuzion, souveran, maxwax, carbon, royale or any waxes really. I remember a test done a couple years ago, I believe on a Ferrari, where different waxes were tested side by side - P21s 100%, Royale, and a few others were tested and only one or two people were able to pick out the super high dollar Royale over the other waxes, and I honestly believe that was out of luck mostly.

I have Fuzion and Souveran, I love them but not so much convinced that they are worlds ahead of even a $20 or $30 was as far as looks go. I love them more so for the ease of use, I hate killing my arm trying to buff off a wax that has hazed and set up on the paint.
    1982 Olds Cutlass - my summer toy.
    1999 Suburban - Black of course!
    2002 Bonneville - The Mutt, a mix of everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Most people who will tell you it's not worth it have never actually tried or owned one of these waxes.

True story.

Buy one and make your own opinion!
    A black 1990 Skyline GTR get a complete restoration : winner of AG' show and shine in 2010
    Facebook ; WaxxonSpa |||| website ; www.waxxon.com

Post Thanks / Like

Being a logical thinking person most of you guys have said what I thought too. I've been using Griot's caranuba for a couple years now, along with Klasse and Zaino. Personally, IMO, the Griot's wax stick (33% content) is the best product that I've used from them so far. I like the their Best of Show for sure (23% content) but I've found that the wax stick is not only easier to apply, which is a given but its easier to remove and less dusty. Now, I have not tried their brand new caranuba but I may down the road and maybe by that time they'll have put it in the easy to use "deodorant stick" too.

This thread also reminds of the fact that I seem to be moving away from caranuba's and towards products like Zaino Z-5 pro/Zaino Clear Seal and ofcoarse, using Klasse products from time to time, just to go down that road that introduced me to products other than caranuba. Has anyone else gone this route? Will I really miss anything when I move away from caranuba's?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraa View Post
    Most people who will tell you it's not worth it have never actually tried or owned one of these waxes.

True story.

Buy one and make your own opinion!
    I checked out that GT-R, nice, nice work and I don't think your being cocky, you did an amazing job on a amazing car, confidence is what it is....CONFIDENCE!

Now, what Uber expensive wax have you tried and/or have that you think really makes all the difference in the world? I ask you because of what you posted here in my thread, thought you'd have a product to talk about. As far as me buying one and deciding for myself, well, as soon as I line up all the numbers in one row on my my lotto ticket I will, trust me because if that happens I'll try out everything and have everything and then I'll be confinded to an institution because I'll be the garage for monthes and monthes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    as soon as I line up all the numbers in one row on my my lotto ticket I will, trust me because if that happens I'll try out everything and have everything and then I'll be confined to an institution because I'll be the garage for months and months
    I think the odds are that you will wind up institutionalized for trying to get all your numbers in a row way before you'll win. The one we have here is 177 million to 1...I think you have a much better chance of getting hit by lightning than winning. Or as Joshua says in War Games "what a strange game...the only winning move is not to play..."

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my experience with those expensive waxes....

My fiancee bought me a jar of Swissvax Concorso for my birthday last year. I was so very surprised she bought it for me considering how expensive it is. I have used it twice on my car. I did a 3 stage machine polish on my car (2010 Acura TSX) last year in July, and applied a layer of Concorso. The instructions say after the product has been applied, to leave it sitting out in the sun, as this will create a deeper wetter look-and yeah it does.

Towards the end of October, I was gearing up to do a winter detail on mine and my fiancee's rides and picked up a can of Collinite 915 from AG. When I was prepping my car for machine polishing I washed, clayed, and then washed it with Dawn mixed with Meg's Gold Class. They claying and washing only removed about 50% of the wax, as it was still beading like crazy. So to me, the Swissvax was extrememly durable, provides great protection, makes my car look great! And last a very long time. In the end I put a layer of Collinite 915 and layered that with the Swissvax Concorso.

On my fiancee's RX350, I polished using WGFG and only put layer of Collinite 915 on it. The silver paint looked really glassy. The beading looked very similar to the Swissvax but I noticed that it doesn't last as long as the Swissvax.

So with all that said, yes the Swissvax, IMO, last a bit longer, and provides alittle deeper look. Is it worth the $329...I don't think I'd personally pay that much. I'm blessed to have a very thoughtful woman.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast