autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 hours and still no perfection!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    That might be your culprit. I clean on the fly after every section I do. When you get to give it another shot clean your pad on the fly. There are various methods you can use but I bet you will see more consistent results.
    Will do, thanks for the advice. All three cars where home today so i couldn't pull out the air compressor and i had very little space to set up the work light. Had to use the stupid garage light and a led head light. When it gets warmer, ill have more patience and more room. I despise midwest weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jon, what do you mean by "edging"?

Post Thanks / Like

wow!!! so your not the only one having this problem!! i thought i was the only one.. i did a full correction on my brothers red 2006 honda civic si, no swirls whatsoever at all angles. but on my 2008 honda accord (royal blue pearl paint) i cannot for the LIFEEEE of me get rid of the swirls..?!?!? what gives? i used m105 compound on orange lake country pad and i also tried meguiars microfiber cutting disc with the microfiber compound form the kit and i still cant get rid of any swirls on my accord.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlUE08 View Post
    wow!!! so your not the only one having this problem!! i thought i was the only one.. i did a full correction on my brothers red 2006 honda civic si, no swirls whatsoever at all angles. but on my 2008 honda accord (royal blue pearl paint) i cannot for the LIFEEEE of me get rid of the swirls..?!?!? what gives? i used m105 compound on orange lake country pad and i also tried meguiars microfiber cutting disc with the microfiber compound form the kit and i still cant get rid of any swirls on my accord.
    If you do figure out what you needed to do, post back to this thread so I can try your method too. Wont be polishing until the weather warms up here. Suppose to snow tonight and tomorrow. FTL.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had many similar situations with a random orbital, it just takes a lot of work. It all went a lot faster once I tried a rotary and wool/foam....takes some practice, but works for me better.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlUE08 View Post
    Are you seeing the marring left from 105 and a cutting pad/MF Disc? Have you tried a finishing polish after you compounded?
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I have had many similar situations with a random orbital, it just takes a lot of work. It all went a lot faster once I tried a rotary and wool/foam....takes some practice, but works for me better.
    I was REALLY leaning towards the flex because of the force rotation, but being a student with no job, the budget was kind of tight lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Flex is the answer to more cutting power for sure. I've used G220 for a few years. It can do the job .. but, you'll be better off going with 3"BP, as 4" pads have more cutting ability then 6.5" or 7" pads.

IMO G110/220 is underpowered for more serious cutting, unless you have plenty of spare time to invest.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bl3ujay07 View Post
    took out the 105 and did a 6 section pass, and it came out great! Could barely find any scratches/swirls except a deeper one. Awesome, so i start using m105 on the hood. Same 6 section passes. Still left slight swirls and scratches. Thought it might be okay since i was going to go m205.

After compounding the whole hood, i jumped to a white pad with m205. I could not get the rest of the swirls and scratches out!
    I think the underlined part was the problem. The swirls and scratches that were left behind after 105 were the deepest ones. Trying to come back and get them on the next pass with a finer polish/pad won't likely work. The trick is to remove all the defects you intend to remove during the compounding step, then clean up the marring left by the compound with a polish. Then "Jewel" with a finishing polish if desired.

As others said, clean the pad (I prefer the air compressor method), keep your arm speed slow, machine speed high and work the polish until it's almost clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Def. clean on the fly and might need to step up the pad to a yellow cutting pad. There is a thread on AG about the 5.5 Orange and it is basically a light cutting pad. Or pick up some Megs or Optimum MF pads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast