autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Aluminium polish

Hi,
    This is my first project with aluminium. I have polished the clutch cover of Royal Enfield Electra. Vehicle is six years old & have done 44000 km. I have wet sand it with 1500 grit sand paper & then with 2000 grit. After that scratches have been removed with Meguiar's Dimond cut compound & then polish with aluminium polish [ very cheap polish]. Every thing has been done with hand no machine used. I want to ask two things
    [1] Will a branded aluminium polish bring more gloss?
    [2] Is there any other process to do it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aluminium polish-img_1677-jpg   Aluminium polish-img_1678-jpg   Aluminium polish-img_1946-jpg   Aluminium polish-img_1947-jpg   Aluminium polish-img_1948-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    There are fine grade aluminum polishes that you can use. I personally like Mother's Billet Aluminum Polish. I think it does a fine job of really making aluminum shine and giving a clear mirror like finish. I use foam a foam applicator and a microfiber towel to remove the polish residue.

Wolfgang and Blackfire also make a fine grade aluminum polish that may be what you are looking for as well

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminium polish

Spectacular job hand. Persistance and dedication pays off again!

Go to youtube input aluminum polishing to get an idea of how the pros do it. Once again, magnificient work thus far.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Looked at the GOT A WEIRD PHONE CALL TODAY thread the came back here. Was in such a hurry I didn't realize all by hand.

on your results.
    VT
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

I would add a step of 3,000 wet after the 2,000 wet and before using the aluminum polish.

Using a compound like Diamond Cut may introduce scratches since it's a diminishing particle abrasive that requires the use of a rotary in order to break the abrasive down.

So, I'd skip the Diamond Cut and replace that step with 3,000 wet paper. Using a machine with the aluminum polish will give you a more uniform result, regardless the polish brand used.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for reply. It took whole two days for me to polish clutch cover.
    I am also thinking of using Mothers Power ball & mag & aluminium polish or Meguiar's wheel care kit with drill machine in order to reduce time. Any one got any idea which one is better?
    I am also posting a image of engine which I want to polish, so please tell me what should I use a cone or power ball? By using power ball or cone with drill machine is it possible to quit sanding step? I have chosen above products because they are available in India. Please advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aluminium polish-img_1670-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I have great results with NXT All Metal Polysh and M205 I used for the aluminum trim on my Yukon, all other polishes left holograms.....

Very nice job, a lot of patience and all by hand to boot!
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

Splendid job. A lot patience is needed when polishing aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't give up the sandpaper. If you go the megs route, you'll probably need both. I won't use
    meg products on aluminum. When doing the engine, you'll probably tear the heck out of the cone and powerball. End up being a waste of money. My .02- Happy detailing...
    VT

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surajprasade View Post
    Thanks everyone for reply. It took whole two days for me to polish clutch cover....

I am also posting a image of engine which I want to polish, so please tell me what should I use a cone or power ball? By using power ball or cone with drill machine is it possible to quit sanding step? I have chosen above products because they are available in India. Please advice.

You'll still need to sand, since the aluminum polishes are for, well, polishing. Sanding will get you a smooth surface, and the polishing step will shine the surface.

As for a ball or cone for your engine - it depends on the shape of the areas you're looking to polish. Cones are better for getting in to small areas, and a round ball won't go in to a square corner. The ball is better for larger, flat areas and for curving shapes.

Honestly, I think you'll find you need both in order to do the best job.

Nice job on polishing that aluminum. Using the proper tool can save you considerable time, and give a better look as the result is more uniform.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast