autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cotton vs. microfiber

You'd love the new CG micro-cotton (cotton-MF) towels. Best of both worlds.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Those sound intresting. Perhaps one day I'll try them and see for myself

The maintanence Microfibers require is more then I can stand. Not to mention everytime you use them (on paint) you really don't know what to expect One time they work fine, next time they swirl up your paint.....I never have that problem with Cotton
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

First when I saw that I figured they must have hooked up with our "pal", Leo. But I went to their site, and as usual, the copy for this towel seems like it was translated from Chinese by someone who doesn't speak english. Near as I can tell, this is simply a 70/30 MF towel with some cotton in the middle like the WW's with the foam in the middle...so by my definition that's not really a cotton MF towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    One time they work fine, next time they swirl up your paint.....I never have that problem with Cotton
    That's been my experience. I know for a fact, I get swirls (micro marring) and the only thing that has touched my paint is a microfiber towel to dry or apply and remove product. And I don't buy cheap micros. Very frustrating when this happens after spending so much time to get perfect paint.

Going to conduct my own test. Polish to perfection, then nothing but cotton on the finish and see what happens. I'm of the opinion that all the hype over microfiber is just that, hype by companies wanting to sell microfiber towels. Hard to promote cotton that is available everywhere as an old tee shirt or diaper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LazerRed1 View Post
    That's been my experience. I know for a fact, I get swirls (micro marring) and the only thing that has touched my paint is a microfiber towel to dry or apply and remove product. And I don't buy cheap micros. Very frustrating when this happens after spending so much time to get perfect paint.
    Very frustrating indeed
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Going to conduct my own test. Polish to perfection, then nothing but cotton on the finish and see what happens. I'm of the opinion that all the hype over microfiber is just that, hype by companies wanting to sell microfiber towels. Hard to promote cotton that is available everywhere as an old tee shirt or diaper.

Its all a bunch of hype. That, plus there is alot more money to be made selling cheap Chinese crap No. For me, I'm sticking with the best, Cotton, made right here in the good ole U S of A

Post Thanks / Like

First I ever heard of these. I take it that CG is Chemical Guys ? Before I go over and take a look , tell me a little more about you experience with em.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Its all a bunch of hype. That, plus there is alot more money to be made selling cheap Chinese crap No. For me, I'm sticking with the best, Cotton, made right here in the good ole U S of A

I have been wanting to try some cotton towels but haven't found where to buy them. When I think of soft cotton I think of my moms dusting towel. That towel is so soft its amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post
    I have been wanting to try some cotton towels but haven't found where to buy them. When I think of soft cotton I think of my moms dusting towel. That towel is so soft its amazing!
    Try to find used 100% cotton. Garage sales, etc. Old tee shirts, diapers, towels. Wash them several times before using and inspect to make sure they don't have any glue, etc. that would scratch. Using your own old stuff is really the best. You know how that stuff has been treated.

Post Thanks / Like

Try to find used 100% cotton. Garage sales, etc. Old tee shirts, diapers, towels. Wash them several times before using and inspect to make sure they don't have any glue, etc. that would scratch. Using your own old stuff is really the best. You know how that stuff has been treated.

I know it sounds kinda funky, but using a towel thats already broke in seems to work the best. I have a network of ppl who give me their old towels. Some I use, some I pass on to Goodwill

The ones that I find to work best have a tight, semi plush nap. I prefer white towels as they are more bleach friendly

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast