autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sealant Advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGT View Post
    Hey guys.. I've been noticing an issue with the durability of my Wolfgang paint sealant.
    Didn't realize that you expected a sacrificial-barrier-film-layer measuring around .000785" "thick", to protect your vehicle's CC paint film against:

-"Marring"; or,
    -The extra car-washing sessions needed for 'cleaning' the more severely exposed to exhaust contaminates areas of your vehicle; and,
    -Other conditions you mentioned (rainstorms, leaving dirt/grime to 'sit') that are probably not conducive to a sacrificial-barrier's longevity ("duration of durability", perhaps?).

"Re-New-Ability"....Now that's one of the real beauties of sealant-type-sacrificial-barriers, as far as I'm concerned. Intervals of their re-applications/re-newals? YMMV.

Bob
    Last edited by FUNX650; 12-27-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned...the proper prep b4 applying the DGPS is a very important step in it's longetivity. Secondly the Megs wash leavs a film behind IME that reduces slickness. Either of or a combination may be your troubles. I'd start by switching your shampoo.

I have been using DGPS for a while and always found the durability to be very good when applied properly. Perhaps some of the WG PPE is in order also.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the choice of shampoo, try switching to Meg's Gold Class or DP Auto Bath.

I do think that the super thin, sacrificial barrier, provided by an LSP does in fact help protect against the lightest and slightest wash induced marring. Of course it won't protect from scratches...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    I agree about the choice of shampoo, try switching to Meg's Gold Class or DP Auto Bath.

I do think that the super thin, sacrificial barrier, provided by an LSP does in fact help protect against the lightest and slightest wash induced marring. Of course it won't protect from scratches...
    I agree, in my mind, if the surface has good protection on it then it should be more slick. And if its more slick dirt and grime should slide off more easily.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless89 View Post
    I agree, in my mind, if the surface has good protection on it then it should be more slick. And if its more slick dirt and grime should slide off more easily.
    +1 exactly. I expect my sealant to make the dirt & grime to slide off more easily, like it usually does at the first wash after applying. I'm having to apply way too much pressure to get the rear of the car clean.. because it's not protected and not slick. I haven't polished the car since last January and the rest of it still looks perfect.

I'll pick up some Gold Class today. Anyone else have any opinions of which sealant I should try next?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    In my experience that Megs WW "soap" can have a very negative affect (temporarily at the very least) on the excellent properties left by sealants and some other lsp. marring.
    This seems to be my experience as well. In my case Ultimate Wash and Wax didn't play well with their Ultimate Wax. Ironic. UWW doesn't seem to clean very well IMO.

I ran out of other soaps so I've tried adding ONR to megs UWW and it seems to help. Probably a waste of good ONR. (I'm really new to the ONR thing. I bought some for the first time after Thanksgiving and it's been finding its way into all my buckets and other water delivery devices) I'm using a folded microfiber towel with the ONR + UWW, instead of my usual microfiber wash mits, and a refold to a clean portion of the towel after each swipe. It certainly cleans better this way.

I ordered some Ultima Paint Guard Wash last night. I was on the fence between that Duragloss. I'll need to clay, polish, and wax in the meantime.
    ...Rick
    Team Flex 3401 / PE14-2 150 Time to show black paint who's boss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rix6 View Post

I ordered some Ultima Paint Guard Wash last night. I was on the fence between that Duragloss. I'll need to clay, polish, and wax in the meantime.
    Excellent choice! The Ultima Paint Guard Wash is my #1 and I've tried about 20 if I had to guess off the top of my head. Anytime I'm not testing another soap I get excited I can use Ultima. Of course I feel the same sense of excitement about using Optimum. For a car that needs some help and hasn't been polished or had the treatment it needs I recommend Duragloss as it has some great gloss enhancers in it for that sort of application.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123