autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: TLC needed - '03 50th AE Convertible, 66K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Murman View Post
    Using the PC at 6 and 5 seemed to allow the tool to do it's job. It just felt better and seemed easier.
    Hiya Murray,

I use 4 - 4.5 on a GG6, 4.5 - 5 on v1 PC. The MF DA System is designed to produce better results at slower speeds than you'd use with foam. Yeah, on occasion I have to really lean into the machine for a stout defect and crank it up to keep the pad rotating but then I back it down and resume at the slower speed. You generally achieve a more aggressive cut through longer working time, more passes and more pressure instead of higher speed. As counterintuitive as that may be, it works.

Haven't seen any progress pics here or on MOL. A camera is part of the detailing process you know...

TL

Post Thanks / Like

Using the PC at 6 and 5 seemed to allow the tool to do it's job. It just felt better and seemed easier. The car has a clear bra. I taped off the "bra line" and worked up to the tape. I need to go back and work on that area again. It does not look as good as the rest of the finish. I did not use the DA on the bra.
    The clear bra is a layer of protective plastic designed to protect the area from airborne particles, debris, and rock chips. Because it's plastic it will not take on the super glossy characteristics of the now highly polished clear coat...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    The clear bra is a layer of protective plastic designed to protect the area from airborne particles, debris, and rock chips. Because it's plastic it will not take on the super glossy characteristics of the now highly polished clear coat...
    Hi BobbyG...

Not trying to be a fuddy-duddy...but...Just like most things in life, I feel there are exceptions to this rule.

And, after all, IMO, isn't:
    -CC paint-film just a "plastic-based" paint in and of itself?
    -Gloss (without using a glossometer) "in the eye of the beholder"?

One example shown here: PPF on the front clip and hood.

Note: Original photo has been cropped to protect the "so-called innocent"

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

During the MLK weekend, my wife and I drove the C5 to San Diego and back. The weather in SD was nice enough to drop the top. The evening of our return, a storm system was entering the NORCAL area. Lots of wind, flying debris, dust and tumble weeds. I woke up the next day to snow on the ground. Perfect timing - except for one dusty car. More wind, rain and snow this weekend. However, the outlook for next weekend looks positive.

I was waiting for a deal on the 3" Griot's DA polisher. I found one for $95 w/ free shipping, but held off. Today, I found the polisher with a bag and other items for $100 w/ free shipping, so I order it. I hope the 3" polisher works well with the Meg's 3" DA MF BP, pads and product.

(3-inch random orbital polisher, 16 ounces of machine polish, a 3-inch orange foam polishing pad, a set of three microfiber polish removal cloths, 16 ounces of Best of Show wax, a 3-inch red foam wax pad, a set of three microfiber wax removal cloths, and a water-resistant trunk bag)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    Hiya Murray,

I use 4 - 4.5 on a GG6, 4.5 - 5 on v1 PC. The MF DA System is designed to produce better results at slower speeds than you'd use with foam. Yeah, on occasion I have to really lean into the machine for a stout defect and crank it up to keep the pad rotating but then I back it down and resume at the slower speed. You generally achieve a more aggressive cut through longer working time, more passes and more pressure instead of higher speed. As counterintuitive as that may be, it works.

Haven't seen any progress pics here or on MOL. A camera is part of the detailing process you know...

TL
    Gotcha. I think I need to try the paint correction on a warmer day. One where I want to be outside and enjoy the process.

Hmmmm... A camera... Yes, I have one of those...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I failed to express myself correctly. The area of concern is on the paint of the hood, aft of the bra. The bra has (prior to the SD trip) a nice gloss/shine.

Hmmm... I bet a pic would help. Huh, TL?

Post Thanks / Like

Freshly washed and ready for a drive. Too bad it is 42*F outside with 3-6 inches of snow expected tonight...

I need to find a good tire dressing...

Post Thanks / Like

Freshly washed and ready for a drive. Too bad it is 42*F outside with 3-6 inches of snow expected tonight...

Murray found his camera!

Looks good! Crank up the heater and go for a ride.

I need to find a good tire dressing...
    Everybody has their favorite. Personally, I prefer a clean, dark matte finish. Since I have raised-white-outline tires I find Stoner's More Shine aerosol easiest to use, I just give it a wipe to get rid of the shine.

You may want to give ONR a look in lieu of dressing if you just want a dark, clean look. I was putzing around with a sprayer I keep filled with ONR at QD strength and cleaned the tires and was impressed! Quick, easy and no sling if you don't want high shine.

TL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    Murray found his camera!

Just for you, TL!

Thank you for the tip for using ONR as a tire dressing. No fling is a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a 24 oz spray bottle while I was in town yesterday. I added 1 oz of ONR to 16 oz of filtered water to make a ONR QD. I will give the tires/wheels a little detail today and post the results. It seems many AG folks DO NOT like using ONR as a QD product on paint systems.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast