autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What type of protection for winter weather?

I am the proud owner of a new, 2012 Camaro SS convertible, 45th anniversary edition. Unfortunately, I will have to drive it some this winter, short commute to / from work 5 days a week.
    I was wondering what type of wax I should have on, that would offer the most protection and durability for the next several months? I probably won't be able to do another full detail until March.
    Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What type of protection for winter weather?

Everyone in the northern climates speak highly of Collinite 845 for good winter protection. Opti Coat or Cquartz are other great options.

Being in Florida, I just put away my summer shorts and broke out my winter shorts. I am sure the other guys will chime in soon with their recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NickZ28 View Post
    I am the proud owner of a new, 2012 Camaro SS convertible, 45th anniversary edition. Unfortunately, I will have to drive it some this winter, short commute to / from work 5 days a week.
    I was wondering what type of wax I should have on, that would offer the most protection and durability for the next several months? I probably won't be able to do another full detail until March.
    Thanks everyone!
    Collinite 845 is your best friend.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not overlook 915 either.

Post Thanks / Like

My SS is a 300+ mile a week, mid west, daily driver and this year I went with Collinite 845 as the LSP. Actually I went with one coat of BFWD topped with one coat of the 845.

2010 Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Not knowing where you live and what winter is like there I don't see that you can get much of an answer. Winter in Florida are like summer in the Midwest. Winters in the Midwest are miserable. I'd not drive that car in the snow belt.

Assuming you do live in the snow belt, I suppose you know that the tires on that car will act like toboggans on snow and ice so if you were to drive it in the winter be sure to have good insurance. Convertible tops take a real beating with the salt and chemical melters used on the roads. If you live where it will snow go buy a beater for the winter. That is too nice a car to subject it to snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post
    Not knowing where you live and what winter is like there I don't see that you can get much of an answer. Winter in Florida are like summer in the Midwest. Winters in the Midwest are miserable. I'd not drive that car in the snow belt.

Assuming you do live in the snow belt, I suppose you know that the tires on that car will act like toboggans on snow and ice so if you were to drive it in the winter be sure to have good insurance. Convertible tops take a real beating with the salt and chemical melters used on the roads. If you live where it will snow go buy a beater for the winter. That is too nice a car to subject it to snow.
    Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires got me back and forth to work everyday last winter, except one. That one day, the weather was so bad the office closed.

Good point about the convertible top. Here not only do we get the salt/sand routine, but most disturbing is the spraying of a saline solution. I hate that stuff.

On topic - I really feel I'd been fine with either the BFWD or Collinite 845. But since I had both may as well use them. There is a product called Rejex that I used last year and it did a great job. I had my winter set of wheels coated with it and it was still holding up when I prepped and sealed them a few weeks ago for this winter.
    Last edited by IndeedSS; 12-05-2011 at 10:19 AM.

2010 Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I like Menz Power Lock and or a few coats of Ultima Paint Guard Plus.

Post Thanks / Like

I like FK1000p because its designed for marine use so its tough against salt. Then 845 on the trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
    Everyone in the northern climates speak highly of Collinite 845 for good winter protection. Opti Coat or Cquartz are other great options.

Being in Florida, I just put away my summer shorts and broke out my winter shorts. I am sure the other guys will chime in soon with their recommendations.

So, are your "winter shorts" a little longer, or just a different color in order to keep up w/ seasonal fashion?

Back on topic, I used 845 last year for the A8 and it was my goto wax then for winter. As far as rims, I've been using Opti-coat religously on every one I do since I picked it up at Detailfest.

This year, though, I am planning on doing a cold-weather LSP test here shortly. I will be sectioning-off the hood on the A8 and using waxes/sealants that I have. I will be testing ease-of-use, and functional-ability, when applied in low temps, and I will be continually checking long-term durability.

I was hoping to do this sometime this week, but the temps are looking like they are going to be low up here in Northern Wisconsin. I'd like to have the ambient temp above freezing at a minimum for the test. Maybe next week.
    Allen M. Kwiatkowski - Discern Auto Salon
    Your Automotive Appearance Concierge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast