autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Foam vs Microfiber wax pads

I have a brand new car that I will applying a finish coat of Collinite 845 ontop of Klasse AIO. I have read that the 845 needs to be applied very, very thin for best results. My question is which wax applicator, foam or MF, would be best for applying the thinest coat? I realize hand pressure will matter the most but I was wondering, between the foam or MF pad, which would hold and release the least amount of wax? Also which pad do you think is the easiest to use, the most comfortable? Thanks for any feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam vs Microfiber wax pads

I prefer to use a foam pad for paste waxes and a MF pad for liquid waxes. I actually don't have a viable basis for my actions, that's just what I prefer and it seems to work well.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use foam with 845. Whichever you use, it will saturate the applicator, so I try to dedicate an applicator and put it in a ziploc bag for next time...except that I usually wind up dropping it on the ground at some point...

Post Thanks / Like

My answer really wont be to helpful to you entirely as I machine apply 845 to get in thin and as such it;s a red foam pad. But what I do which you can replicate by hand is go over sections with muktiple passes to spread the product out evenly and thinly. First pass looks almost like ther's not enough product anywhere but the subsequent passes spread it out and even it up. I've never had a problem removing 845 using that process. Hope that helps you.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking a MF pad might be good with a cleaner wax but I prefer a foam applicator with other waxes.
    James
    2011 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like foam better. Now if they only had as many different foam pad applicators OTC like they do microfiber.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it's just a matter of getting small areas spread out as thin and even as possible reguardless of the pad. I would think that a MF pad would release less wax with the same amount of pressure as a foam pad just because it is wrapped in a MF cloth. Isn't a MF pad just a foam pad wrapped in MF? As you all can tell I have little experience with waxing. I'm from the old school of using a can of paste wax with a foam pad or usually an old terry cloth rag folded up. I'm trying to update all my auto detailing products and procedures. Lots have changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post
    As you all can tell I have little experience with waxing. I'm from the old school of using a can of paste wax with a foam pad or usually an old terry cloth rag folded up. I'm trying to update all my auto detailing products and procedures. Lots have changed.
    You know, I'm from the old school, too, but I don't think waxing has changed that much. What's changed is internet forums where you can share info/experience and realize that you don't have to put wax on as thick as cake icing. You're making 845 out to be scarier than it is, just work it out in a nice even coat. It really won't be the end of the world if it goes on a little thick. IMO 845 is one of the easiest to use waxes there is.

Post Thanks / Like

I realize this isn't rocket science. I'm just trying to spend my money wisely. I don't want to buy things that I'll never use. Money is tight thse days so every little expenditure is something to think about. I also don't want to spend alot of extra time wiping and wiping trying to get wax off. I'm looking for the right tool for the right job so I try to explore all avenues. Thanks again for the help guys. As soon as this rain stops for a few days I'll be ready to go "nuts" on my new vechicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post
    I don't want to buy things that I'll never use. Money is tight thse days so every little expenditure is something to think about. I also don't want to spend alot of extra time wiping and wiping trying to get wax off.
    Then don't buy any applicators. If you have (clean) foam or terry, they will work fine. As far as spending a lot of extra time trying to get wax off...remember they way a nice gentleman on another forum put it once...when you get done buffing it off, there will be only a molecules-thick layer left on the paint...whatever you put on beyond that is only going to get wiped off anyway. So thin is in, and 845 wipes off really easy, anyway.