autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A new way to remove scratches?

So yesterday I was at a banquet and got into a discussion about a man interested in detailing vehicles. I have known him for a while and he has a habit of trying to act like he knows everything about anything. I was explaining to him about how you have to polish down the clear coat to remove scratches and he seemed to accept that it was possible to do it that way. After that however, he told me that he worked at a detail shop many years ago and that for heavy scratches he used hydrochloric acid to remove them. His logic behind this was that somehow this acid opens the pores and magically fills them in or something. I tried to be nice about it but somehow i think he knew i was skeptical. So my question is for all the chemists out there; is there any properties of hydrochloric acid that could possibly open the pores of the paint? Or was this person just trying to sound intelligent and made a fool of himself?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A new way to remove scratches?

Quote Originally Posted by oneill24 View Post
    is there any properties of hydrochloric acid that could possibly open the pores of the paint?
    Since hydrochloric acid will open up the "pores" of concrete, I see it having no problem, whatsoever, opening up the "pores" of paint...including the "pores" of a "plastic clear-coat" paint.

How to close-up the paints' now "enlarged pores" from that process might pose a quite spirited debate.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Well not really he said he removed scratches with it. He never said anything about the holes he made lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no chemist...but I'm gonna call bull, ha.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a chemist...and I'm gonna call bull.

Doesn't he know that hydrochloric acid is highly caustic and will do a lot more than "open the pores"? I see HCl having potential to remove scratches from paint by basically chemical burning the paint level above the scratch. Sure that could work, but the amount of potential damage is way worse than wetsanding and can't be removed readily. HCl is way to reactive to trust on paint.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    I'm a chemist...and I'm gonna call bull.

Doesn't he know that hydrochloric acid is highly caustic and will do a lot more than "open the pores"? I see HCl having potential to remove scratches from paint by basically chemical burning the paint level above the scratch. Sure that could work, but the amount of potential damage is way worse than wetsanding and can't be removed readily. HCl is way to reactive to trust on paint.
    Hi Jon:

I'm curious about the progress on your new car care product line. What say ye?

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Vinegar has 4 or 5% acidity and it will do damage if left to sit on paint for an extended length of time..Why would anyone want to handle HCI when there are other products that may do the job without the dangers of acid..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Hi Jon:

I'm curious about the progress on your new car care product line. What say ye?

Bob
    I've got a handful of polish formulations put together, but there are a few variables that i'm not 100% happy with as of right now.

I'd like to get my formulations as close to perfect IMO as possible. I have been able to achieve similar results to much of the lines out there right now, but I know if it is going to be profitable my products need to be better than the competition or similar but more cost effective.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    I've got a handful of polish formulations put together, but there are a few variables that i'm not 100% happy with as of right now.

I'd like to get my formulations as close to perfect IMO as possible. I have been able to achieve similar results to much of the lines out there right now, but I know if it is going to be profitable my products need to be better than the competition or similar but more cost effective.
    Sounds like you're on the right track....I'd be willing to purchase/test your products once you've reached the formulations you desire.

Keep us posted. Thanks!

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the responses guys. I was having a hard time believing him but it seems that from what your all saying that technically it could be possible to use this method however its not good for your car at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast